PDA

View Full Version : New capacitors for L220s?

LovethoseL220s
01-22-2017, 04:05 PM
New member with little experience using forums...

Looking for advice on servicing my L220s...bought them new in the early 80s (my first bank loan!) but in recent years I find them very brassy. Have tried turning down the midrange to minimum (i.e., #1 or barely on), but still seem extraordinarily loud in the mid range. Audiophile acquaintance of mine suggested the 7 capacitors in each crossover need replacement.

Does this have the desired effect?
What's the most common result of replacing capacitors?
Where to get high quality parts?
What ballpark cost should I expect?
If replacing capacitors, should any other parts be replaced?

The only other service I've had done is replacement of the foam surrounds on woofer and passive radiator about 10 years ago.

Many thanks for any info...!

BMWCCA
01-22-2017, 05:06 PM
The only other service I've had done is replacement of the foam surrounds on woofer and passive radiator about 10 years ago.Did this change in tonal balance occur coincidently with the woofer-surround replacement by any chance? :dont-know:

Welcome to the forums!

LovethoseL220s
01-22-2017, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the quick response, BMWCCA. No, the change has been gradual over last 5 years or so.

Mr. Widget
01-23-2017, 01:42 PM
The differences between capacitors, audiophile or otherwise, should be subtle. It may be that your caps have drifted in value and are no longer the correct values. If you feel handy with a soldering iron you should be able to find all the caps you need at Parts Express.

Widget

grumpy
01-23-2017, 01:49 PM
Have tried turning down the midrange to minimum (i.e., #1 or barely on), but still seem extraordinarily loud in the mid range.

Sure the L-pads haven't been damaged? When at minimum, there should be almost no sound
coming from the affected driver. If you turn both controls down, is the sound limited to the woofer?