PDA

View Full Version : D16R2451SL...does this look right?

emilime75
01-22-2017, 09:13 AM
Purchased this diaphragm and this is what it looked like when I opened it up. It was listed as new/unused, but I have my doubts even though this is my first time seeing a JBL diaphragm in person. I'm hoping some of you more experienced folks could help identify if it really is a 2451SL and if it looks new or used.

Personally, this thing is suspect. The .25" center dot missing its coating, the screw terminals look like they've been turned, and from other photos I've seen online, I expected the Aquaplas coating to be very smooth, while this one feels rather coarse/rough.

JeffW
01-22-2017, 09:24 AM
It looks just like the ones I have/had. The coating is rougher than some of the pics make it look, and one pair had a similar center dot.

emilime75
01-22-2017, 10:18 AM
That's a little reassuring, Jeff, thanks. Would you mind sharing where you purchased the diaphragms that were missing the coating in the center like the one pictured?

What about the fact that the screws had been turned? If you look at the photos closely, the red paint indicating the positive terminal, it looks like the red dab on the screw is turned 180 degrees from where I'd assume it would be when the paint was applied.

Maybe I'm being overly skeptical, I just don't want to build something using a part that I'll always question. The box was an original JBL box indicating D16R2451SL, but it wasn't factory sealed.

JeffW
01-22-2017, 11:04 AM
Some came in drivers, one pair came from Jammin Jersey. I don't know what to tell you about the screws, a used diaphragm would look about the same as a new one.

They are only $109 now, FWIW

http://reconingspeakers.com/product/jbl-d16r2451sl-diaphragm/

Here's a pic of a new one, dot is still filled. I guess it's not impossible that the coating could pop off the dot in use. I don't have these or the used ones anymore.