PDA

View Full Version : Problem with JBL SUB1500

Niklas Nord
12-10-2004, 12:28 PM
I have one driver that seems to have an non corect centered
cone. Iīs not aligned corect in the gap... It makes a sound when
I press the cone downwards..

:(

What should I do? Can Parts Express help me? Is there any waranty?
Not fun couse I live in sweden, maybe itīs not an advantage in this
matter...

Mr. Widget
12-10-2004, 12:39 PM
I would contact PE and explain your situation. You did buy a pile of them and that will aid in your argument as to why it has taken 6 months (or so) to discover the problem.

PE are very good about customer relations, however, the only fix is a recone and I am sure the cost of a recone is more than PE made on the sale.

Good luck.

Widget

scott fitlin
12-10-2004, 12:41 PM
You ordered these from PE? When did you order them?

Its possible that the woofer in question got dropped or banged hard enough to shift the gap slightly, and just a recone wont fix this, if that is what the problem is!

If you got them from PE, call them and let them know whats happened and see what they can offer as a solution!

Niklas Nord
12-10-2004, 12:44 PM
yes i ordered 16 of theese driver in the summer. i havenīt had the
time to start building my subs, so this weekend i have been opening
the boxes...

i was very saad to notice one is damaged in some way. i think its
some kind of fabrication error...

:(

Niklas Nord
12-10-2004, 12:46 PM
What is the cost for a recone for this JBL SUB1500 ?

scott fitlin
12-10-2004, 12:49 PM
During shipping, a box gets dropped, and if hard enough, the gap could have shifted! The only ones who can fix this, is JBL.

Widget makes a good point though, you ordered sixteen of these, maybe if you plead your case to PE, they may exchange it for you! They do think in terms of keeping you as a customer, and they WILL look at the fact that you bought 16 of them, favorably!

Try contacting PE, they can take it back, give you a new one, and kick this one back to JBL, you are a valued customer to PE! They might take care of you!

Mr. Widget
12-10-2004, 12:51 PM
What is the cost for a recone for this JBL SUB1500 ? The C4RSUB1500 recone kit costs $461 from Orange County Speakers. At least that is what was posted some time back on the forum.

Widget

scott fitlin
12-10-2004, 01:15 PM
Well, if you gotta do it, you gotta do it.

Thats an expensive recone!

Niklas Nord
12-10-2004, 02:37 PM
Thank you all for your answers. I have contacted PE, and awaits their answer.

:)

jbl
12-10-2004, 05:33 PM
Eariler this year there was a thread regarding a defect on the 1500. IIRC, they were purchased at PE. What was PE's solution? Since PE is a third party, would JBL make good on the repair? or is it a sale between the consumer and PE? Perhaps there now exists a defective return policy between JBL and PE that you may benefit from. If all else fails, you did buy 16 of them. That should mean something to PE and JBL.

Ron

Niklas Nord
12-16-2004, 02:34 AM
I have been emailing Parts Express several days ago, and no answer.
What should I do?

MJC
12-16-2004, 08:43 AM
I've noticed that when emailing companies they can take up to a week to send a reply. If you don't get a reply you could phone them. Of coarse that would be a bit expensive from Sweden.

<jbl, What was PE's solution?>
If I remember right, PE repaired the defective units themselves. JBL or maybe it was OCS, wanted more for the repair than what PE sold them for.

Mr. Widget
12-16-2004, 11:39 AM
Hi Niklas,

Send them another e-mail explaining your situation. If you don't hear back from them by Monday, send me a PM with your contact info and the invoice number and the date of the order. (you do still have your receipt don't you?) I will call them on your behalf. I too ordered quite a few of them (19) and I would be happy to let them know that.

Widget

Niklas Nord
12-17-2004, 01:19 AM
Widget, very nice.
My English is not very great :rolleyes: so that would be great.
Iī, going to send another email to them, and if they donīt
replay until monday or Thuesday Iīl write you a PM.

Thanks

PS:
Did you have any problems with some of your drivers?

Mr. Widget
12-17-2004, 01:24 AM
I have not opened or tested all of them yet. Of the few that have been put to use one did fail. It had the spider glue issue. I discovered it before they had sold out of them. I returned it and PE shipped me a new one which was fine.

Keep us posted and if they don't respond I will be happy to call them.

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
12-17-2004, 07:23 AM
OH Great now I know who the guys are thats been HOGGING then all.... Barbaric Swine.

Mr. Widget
12-17-2004, 11:21 AM
Barbaric... certainly, but please don't insult our friends with the cute little curly tails. :D

I still have 4 Sub1500s with no particular purpose, and yesterday a fellow forum member asked if they might be available... I couldn't say yes. I guess it is separation anxiety. I hope he understood. As a fellow JBL nut, I think so. :)

Widget

scott fitlin
12-17-2004, 12:33 PM
Barbaric... certainly, but please don't insult our friends with the cute little curly tails. :D

I still have 4 Sub1500s with no particular purpose, and yesterday a fellow forum member asked if they might be available... I couldn't say yes. I guess it is separation anxiety. I hope he understood. As a fellow JBL nut, I think so. :)

Widget:rotfl:

Niklas Nord
12-20-2004, 11:30 AM
The answer from Parts Express:

"Hello Niklas,

I am sorry for this inconvenience.

Unfortunately, those particular drivers have become discontinued and will no longer
be available.

We would be happy to give you a full refund for that driver. You can let me know if
you prefer a refund check or credit on file.

Thanks & Have a Great Day!"

I dont know if they want to have the driver back, that would cost a fortune
for me to ship that back, more than the refund, more than double maybe.
And I need that driver...

What was the cost for the SUB1500 at parts express when they where sold?

Maybe if they want to give me a refund, money back för that driver I could
order a recone kit.

Mr. Widget
12-20-2004, 11:44 AM
They were $249 ea.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=299-750&orefer=esf021904-299-750

Sorry to hear that. I suppose, if they will let you keep the driver that will partially pay for the recone.

Widget

boputnam
12-20-2004, 12:13 PM
I have one driver that seems to have an non corect centered cone. Iīs not aligned corect in the gap... It makes a sound when
I press the cone downwards.. Hey, Niklas...

An alternative is to try and recenter things, yourself. Not so hard, and not so unusual.

Get some MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) and swab the surrounds heavy - let it seep in (which is difficult since MEK is so volatile...). Slowly, and patiently work the surround off the basket. BE PATIENT and work in a VERY WELL VENTILATED PLACE. NO SMOKING!! :bomb:

Then, do the same with the spider. Use a long-handled artists brush to get plenty of MEK onto the spider. Soak that badboy. Slowly, it will all be come a gooey mess, but you will be able to ease-up the spider. Hold it off the basket until the MEK evaporates and the glue resets.

Remove the cone (de-solder the leads!!). Now, use the MEK to completely clean the basket.

Position the voicecoil back into the gap, and re-solder the leads. Now, GordonW and others have had success using 35mm film as a former/ spacer / shim, but you might get by fine just running a 30Hz tone while reglueing the spider. There's some talk about this in Resurround Step-by-step. Run the 30Hz tone when glueing the surround, too. You will be fine, and :dancin:

I had great success with this...

Mr. Widget
12-20-2004, 12:17 PM
"An alternative is to try and recenter things, yourself. Not so hard, and not so unusual."

I thought about that, and there is no harm in trying, but unlike most JBL woofers these have pretty sloppy (wide) gaps. If it is rubbing, I bet the VC is out of tolerance.

But, sure give it a shot.

Widget

Second thought... will MEK dissolve cyanoacrylate? Remember they used "super glue" on the spider.

boputnam
12-20-2004, 02:15 PM
Second thought... will MEK dissolve cyanoacrylate? Remember they used "super glue" on the spider. :hmm: I'm not sure, but guessing not. Cyanoacrylate on the spider - boy that took some finite thinking... :banghead:

Niklas Nord
12-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Where do they have the best price for the recone? Is it orange country?
The glue seems to be like solid rock, is it possible to recone?

Is there not anybody with some SUB1500 to sell to sweden? There are
several here who wish to buy some..

:)

Mr. Widget
12-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Ok, here is the big question. Niklas, do you really need 8 of these in the same location?? What are you planning, space shuttle reentry simulations?

Widget

Niklas Nord
12-20-2004, 03:00 PM
I have allready started building the subs... And the plans is to use them all.

lfh
12-20-2004, 05:22 PM
Niklas, have you talked to these guys:

http://www.technovox.se (in Norrtalje)
http://www.hogtalarservice.se (in Gothenburg)

I figure they might be able to rescue your driver (without a recone kit - they for sure do JBL certified recones), if you don't feel like trying yourself.

Niklas Nord
12-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Thank you ifh.

Now I have run through all 16 of the drivers, and found one more to be
suspect. The cone drops some 3 millimeters, the spider is not tight at all,
itīs very loose in suspension also, the rubber surroundings is not hard, but
very very soft.

It should not be right, that the cone drops 3 millimeters when laying on the
floor, and not in the box.. Also there is glue on the spider, and it does not
look as nice as the others, seems to be an bad ex. Dripped glue everywhere on
the spider...

Mr. Widget
12-21-2004, 11:37 AM
"...the spider is not tight at all,
itīs very loose in suspension also, the rubber surroundings is not hard, but
very very soft."

I can understand someone not putting the catalyst on the frame and messing up the bond between spider and frame... this has happened on one of mine and one of jcdahl's a while back, but the spider and the surround being too soft??? Very strange.

Widget

Niklas Nord
12-21-2004, 11:52 AM
Itīs as soft as a burnt in foam on 2235
very very odd.

Mr. Widget
12-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Does it look visually different from the others?

Niklas Nord
12-21-2004, 03:10 PM
No, but it was dusty, like used.

johnaec
12-21-2004, 03:28 PM
No, but it was dusty, like used.As I understand it, Parts Express picked these up as excess stock - I wonder if an earlier "replaced" (by Revel?) speaker somehow found its way into that stock before Parts Express got hold of them...

John

pelly3s
12-21-2004, 05:02 PM
If you can find the surrounds and spiders then you can salvage the cone and coil. I do repairs like that a lot.... no need to recone when the coil is still good and the cone isnt ruined. the glue they use on the spiders is kind of like a 2 part. If I remember right it's made by Locktite, and MEK wont even touch it. It's a matter of cutting the spider off and replacing it with a new one. Try calling Making Waves in Arizona. They may have the parts to repair the speaker. I can try to remember to get their contact info tomorrow while I am at my shop