PDA

View Full Version : L212 w/ 2118/19h

bldozier
01-17-2017, 07:58 AM
Hello, hi.
so I'm contemplating buying an L212 package close by me bout an hour
each way. Cabinets, stands, speaker grills & crossovers.

No bass enegizer

can the in this implementation the now rediscovered
2118h or 2119h pro be used over the 112

I started collecting for this project and have 1 le5-9 & a 2105h;
id like to move on them soon

Earl K
01-18-2017, 08:31 AM
The 2118H was used ( with slight modification / a coating of aquaplas added ) as the mid driver for the very well received L250 series of HiFi speakers.

Considering just how cheaply a pair can be had these days ( via eBay ) I'd recommend obtaining a good looking pair before they disappear ( & use them as project speakers ).

( A potential drawback is ) I suspect that recone kits are getting hard to come by / making choosing which used pair to buy, even more important (ie; get it right the first time ).

:)

bldozier
01-18-2017, 10:39 AM
Hi,
thank you sir. They aren't listed as drop in
replacements, does the network need to be adjusted
should for the meantime I look for 2118h or 2119h drivers.
The 108h is listed as a replacement for the 112 w/ network
modifications

Earl K
01-18-2017, 11:52 AM
Hi,

I imagine the network would be improved some with a bit of tweaking to it.

I feel this is best left till after the assembly of your system ( and you have listened to it for a while / assuming you don't have much in the way of measurement capabilities ).
- My guess is that the lowpass filter ( coil/inductor ) ought to be increased in value somewhat, to offset the fact that the 2118 has a more rising response ( when compared to the purpose-designed, 112/2108 ).

The good news here is; since your existing network has a variable Lpad, that Lpad acts as an impedance equalizer ( Zobel ) when attenuating, which means the working impedance's of the original system or your custom effort, will be very close ( meaning the rest of the LC values in that 2108 network-leg will act in a fairly predictable fashion ).

:)