PDA

View Full Version : Any Information on JBL model C45 S4

Tlombardo
01-14-2017, 10:52 AM
Hi, I'm still intrigued to know more because to date I've not seen these elsewhere on the internet. I found an identical pair on Ebay except they were one digit different in that they were C45 S8 vs C45 S4. I'm assuming slightly higher model quality. instead of 4. The price for the 8's were $4,500. While you can't believe everything you read, what I have read is that these were retail consumer versions of model made in response to one of the big name recording studios requesting that JBL create special monitors for their use. Some of you commented that the grills are typically toast however mine are like new as is the majority of the condition except for a water spot that warped the veneer in one small place. I bought these along with a McIntosh tuner and amp from an estate sale of a 90 something year old man who passed away. I was so excited I drove (verses ship) from Dayton Ohio to St Louis to pick them up. I didn't trust a shipping company with them. I was told by the auctioneer that the owners son and daughter said the 90 yr old man purchased them brand new in the early 70's and pretty much used them daily to the last days. In any case, these speakers are unusually efficient and the clearest, tightest and most balanced speakers I've ever heard and I've heard a lot. I was an audio store manager for ten years in the late 70's and through most of the 80's with a chain called Highland Appliance Co. And while we didn't carry the caliber of McIntosh, we did carry JBL, but nothing like these. In any case, considering the mystery around this model and that this forum is surrounded with JBL aficionados, I'm still interested in your feedback and information.

Thanks,
Tony

7541575416754177541875419[QUOTE=Joseph Smith Jr;392110]

Don C
01-15-2017, 06:58 PM
The grilles have been recovered, and it looks like a nice job. Here's the original sales brochure, in case you haven't seen it.
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1974-l45.htm

Mr. Widget
01-16-2017, 01:23 PM
Congratulations, those look really nice!

The S4 system is a very high sensitivity system requiring very few watts to get extremely loud. The bass is rather rolled off, but what is there is very nice. Using the loudness compensation built into your Mac will augment the bass nicely, but don't boost the bass too much under higher power as the woofers simply can not put out low bass at higher levels.

The highs of the LE175 that you have are rather rolled off as well. The LE85 is a bit more extended, but adding a tweeter may be something you would want to consider.

Widget

Tlombardo
06-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Any input on a tweeter to search for. Would adding a sub woofer be helpfull?

QUOTE=Mr. Widget;401355]Congratulations, those look really nice!

The S4 system is a very high sensitivity system requiring very few watts to get extremely loud. The bass is rather rolled off, but what is there is very nice. Using the loudness compensation built into your Mac will augment the bass nicely, but don't boost the bass too much under higher power as the woofers simply can not put out low bass at higher levels.

The highs of the LE175 that you have are rather rolled off as well. The LE85 is a bit more extended, but adding a tweeter may be something you would want to consider.

Widget[/QUOTE]