PDA

View Full Version : 066 diaphragm will not move

Chevelle
01-09-2017, 10:21 AM
Hello,

I bought a pair of 4313B and the domes of both 066 tweeters are pushed in. I removed the top with the three screws and unsoldered the terminals. But I can not remove the diaphragm. Is it glued on or somehow tight fit ? I want to push out the dents from behind. I tried to remove it with a sharp cutter knife but before I destroy something I want to ask if there is something to know. The yellow dots where painted by me to remember the polarity....

Thank you

Hjalmar

hjames
01-09-2017, 11:40 AM
I pulled one apart over Christmas (my 1st time!) and the diaphram was loose and floated around pretty easily!
I loosened the screws, lifted the diaphram, and pushed out the dome with my finger (tho a small crumple remained)
I had to be careful to keep the leads in the grooves when I reassembled it.

Hello,

I bought a pair of 4313B and the domes of both 066 tweeters are pushed in. I removed the top with the three screws and unsoldered the terminals. But I can not remove the diaphragm. Is it glued on or somehow tight fit ? I want to push out the dents from behind. I tried to remove it with a sharp cutter knife but before I destroy something I want to ask if there is something to know. The yellow dots where painted by me to remember the polarity....

Thank you

Hjalmar

Chevelle
01-09-2017, 11:59 AM
Thats what I thought when I started. But both diaphrams of the 066 do not move. How are they centered ? Is there a groove or something the diaphragm fits in tight ?

bldozier
01-09-2017, 12:03 PM
Chevelle do you have pictures?

speakerdave
01-09-2017, 12:30 PM
Have you checked the DCR of the coils? If they have been burnt out they might be stuck in place by a blister on the coil. Tweeters can be burned out be overdriving a too-small amp into the speaker. This is especially likely to happen if a volunteer soundman at the party helps out by cranking up the bass with the tone control. Counter-intuitive, yes, but amps driven into distortion are generating HF harmonics and general garbage which can get past the capacitors in the crossover and overpower the tweeters.

hjames
01-09-2017, 12:37 PM
Thats what I thought when I started. But both diaphrams of the 066 do not move. How are they centered ? Is there a groove or something the diaphragm fits in tight ?

Yes, there is a groove - the gap, where the voice coil slides down into -
Its just under the outer edge of the dome.
I wish I'd taken more pictures!

Chevelle
01-09-2017, 01:21 PM
All that is to be seen is the picture in my first post. I try to cut around the outer edge of the diaphragm to get under it with a sharp cutter knife but I think somebody glued the diaphragm to the magnet. No way yet to remove it without distroying.

Chevelle
01-09-2017, 01:26 PM
here you see the problem..... The tweeter works and sounds good. If the voice coil would be stuck I would get under the diaphragm from the side with the knife.

dezmond
01-09-2017, 01:40 PM
If its glued you might be able to pop it off easier if you put it in the freezer for a couple hours. It works great for removing jbl 2404 foilcals.

rdgrimes
01-09-2017, 02:30 PM
Or heat.

grumpy
01-09-2017, 03:15 PM
http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1976-l166/ (http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1976-l166/)

pages 2-3 might be of some interest.

If the tweeter is working and glued in, I think I'd try the modulated vacuum idea before destroying the diaphragm
with a knife.

also, image of a replacement kit for reference (that which is supposed to be removable/replaced):

Chevelle
01-10-2017, 12:08 AM
I will leave the 066 as they are. Hope it is only cosmetical and does not alter the sound.

Thank you for help.

Hjalmar

tarior
02-04-2018, 02:03 PM
I had one recently with the same issue. I very carefully went around the diaphragm a couple of times with an X-acto #16 blade, then carefully used a sharpened jeweler's screwdriver to pry it up at the groove for the lead wire.

Malefoda
02-06-2018, 02:28 PM
They are glued I think. At least my painted one vs the earlier batches. I had one which came off almost by itself, like Heather, glue under looks like white dry dust or it was just mounting help sticky thing. Like others said better try to vaccum it or even stick blue tack in dips and pull it out as fast as possible. And enjoy the music :)

Audiobeer
02-07-2018, 07:58 AM
Doing what you want to do and having them survive is a long shot. 5% chance at best. IMHO