PDA

View Full Version : Speaker recommendations please.

SteveJewels
01-05-2017, 01:14 AM
Hello,

I hope that you are well.

I have been collecting components to build a speaker system, I have 4 of the 2405's, several compression drivers, 2445's and 2446's, and 4 2235H's that have been reconed by Bill at Miller Sound. Eventually I will be putting them together (probably not all of them LOL) to make a speaker system.

In the short term I am looking for a pair of speakers and ran across some interesting information. It seems that if I were to build a 4-way system that the 128H would be an interesting choice to be between the 2235's and the 2446's. I'm thinking to get a pair of speakers that have 128H's, listen to them while I am building my system and if I want to play with a 4-way system, use them as a mid base.

With this in mind, I am looking for a recommendation for a speaker that would be most amenable to use as a mid base without unduly modifying the speaker, perhaps just bypassing the crossover and wiring straight to the 128H.

The 120Ti's look pretty good. What other 128H based speakers should I look at? The 128H looks quite good but I would also be interested in suggestions for other mid base candidates.

If it makes any difference the final system will have an active crossover and be tri (or quad) amped.

johnlcnm
01-05-2017, 06:55 AM
Steve,
Check out the 2206H. I replaced the 2214s in a pair of 4425s with excellent results. A better match for the 1200Hz crossover in this speaker. Mid range is a LOT smoother. I am by no means an expert on JBL drivers. There are folks here with a lot of experience and have experimented with many a JBL driver.

Regards

John

srm51555
01-05-2017, 07:11 AM
+1 on the 2206. I'd pair that up with the 2235's in a 4355 style configuration. I'd also mate it up with a 2397 style horn and use it like Widget used here (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?2308-Widget-s-4355-clone). Either way we can't wait to see what you come up with.

SteveJewels
01-05-2017, 12:56 PM
The 2206H looks interesting. What speakers was it use in? I Googled it but didn't find any.

uroford
01-05-2017, 01:08 PM
It was used mostly in pro applications.

JuniorJBL
01-05-2017, 01:34 PM
A quick search for JBL 2206 on eBay shows quite a few available for purchase. Otherwise there were 2206's in the AS2212 and SR4704a and sr4722a.

It is a really good 12" driver. It will require help below 40 hz but that's what subs are for! ;)

Member 4313B did a 2 way with the array horn and he said it sounded better than it deserved to. Read here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?33151-DIY-1200-Array

SteveJewels
01-05-2017, 03:37 PM
I guess my description wandered a bit, sorry.

The recommendation I was hoping for was for a complete, 3 way, ready to run speaker, like a 120Ti, to use while I am constructing my system. Hopefully speakers that have a 12" woofer that would be a good candidate to use later as a mid bass if I want to try a 4 way system and could be used to experiment as a mid base by bypassing the crossover and wiring directly to the 12" woofer.

I found the 120Ti with a 128H. Perhaps there are other complete speakers that use the 128H that I should consider.

Alternatively the 2206H is looking like a viable candidate. Would that be a better choice for a mid base than a 128H?

If they were used only in pro gear, perhaps I could find some bass bins/horns combination that use the 2206H and throw the 2405's on top and run it that way until I get boxes build for the 2235s. That does open up some other paths. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have a DBX Driverack that I can use as a makeshift crossover to make that configuration work in the short term. Hmmm

So I guess the question has become two questions:

1. Any complete speakers in the 120Ti/128H vein that I should consider.

2. A non-powered speaker/bass bin that has a 2206H. With or without something for higher frequency. If I remember correctly some of the bins that house 2206H's are not of particularly robust construction.

Sorry for any confusion.

johnlcnm
01-05-2017, 06:27 PM
2206 in the 4425 box. Box is tuned to 40Hz, factory spec. I'm guessing just under 2 cubic feet:

JuniorJBL
01-05-2017, 08:57 PM
If you are truly set on the 128X for a mid bass, you can get numerous speakers with that or a variant of that driver. As you have noted the 120Ti is one, as well as the 4412 then there are the white versions in the L112 and the 4311/12 4411 L150/a and I am sure I have missed some.

It is my opinion that the 12" driver you are looking at is not the optimum driver for the range you are looking at covering. The 10" 222X drivers are better suited to the range you are wanting to cover. (Hjames has a great thread about the 10's here:) http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?16962-Field-Guide-to-the-JBL-10-inch-Midbass-driver-2121-2122-2123

That does not mean that JBL does not make a good 12 mid bass (as described above), it just so happens that the 2206 was a fantastic mid/mid bass that JBL did not need to make anything different until the new NEO pro drivers which are the current production drivers. They did make a really fantastic 12" all around driver (1200Fe) but that is nearly impossible to find (used in the K2 S5800, 4428/29 and maybe some others) and if you found one of those speaker systems you would no longer need to make anything.

I am not trying to dissuade you from using the 128X driver, but others have given you the best most viable option for what you seek. I do understand that this does not give you a current system to listen to while building you new system. I am sorry if this is not helping you on your journey. :(

Systems with a 2206:

SR4702: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/SR-X%20Series/SR4702X.pdf

SR4722: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/sr-series/sr4722.pdf

SR4732: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/sr-series/sr4732.pdf

AS2212: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/AS%20Series/AS2212-STD.pdf

Just to list a few.

martin_wu99
01-05-2017, 10:04 PM
Hello,

I hope that you are well.

I have been collecting components to build a speaker system, I have 4 of the 2405's, several compression drivers, 2445's and 2446's, and 4 2235H's that have been reconed by Bill at Miller Sound. Eventually I will be putting them together (probably not all of them LOL) to make a speaker system.

In the short term I am looking for a pair of speakers and ran across some interesting information. It seems that if I were to build a 4-way system that the 128H would be an interesting choice to be between the 2235's and the 2446's. I'm thinking to get a pair of speakers that have 128H's, listen to them while I am building my system and if I want to play with a 4-way system, use them as a mid base.

With this in mind, I am looking for a recommendation for a speaker that would be most amenable to use as a mid base without unduly modifying the speaker, perhaps just bypassing the crossover and wiring straight to the 128H.

The 120Ti's look pretty good. What other 128H based speakers should I look at? The 128H looks quite good but I would also be interested in suggestions for other mid base candidates.

If it makes any difference the final system will have an active crossover and be tri (or quad) amped.
hi steve

so nice to meet you here,i'm Xi'an local person,i know someone who has many JBL speakers, if you have interesting,pls contact me directly,i'll be glad if i can help you.

Martin

SteveJewels
01-05-2017, 10:59 PM
If you are truly set on the 128X for a mid bass, you can get numerous speakers with that or a variant of that driver. As you have noted the 120Ti is one, as well as the 4412 then there are the white versions in the L112 and the 4311/12 4411 L150/a and I am sure I have missed some.

It is my opinion that the 12" driver you are looking at is not the optimum driver for the range you are looking at covering. The 10" 222X drivers are better suited to the range you are wanting to cover. (Hjames has a great thread about the 10's here:) http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?16962-Field-Guide-to-the-JBL-10-inch-Midbass-driver-2121-2122-2123

Not at all. In fact, as I read more I am thinking that there are other, better options for a mid base. I just saw a mention in another thread that the 128H was a good transducer to use as a mid bass with the 2235. some searching for speakers that use the 128H led to the 120Ti and others that seemed to be suitable for use as a turnkey, get started set of speakers with a thought of experimenting with the 128H as a mid base in a 4 way without too much trouble.

I ran across the HJames thread you mention this morning. I have not read it thoroughly, just kind of skimmed through it. If I was designing for a 4 way, 212X would seem to be the way to go although it seems as though they are not readily available. That would allow me to use a much smaller horn.

Thanks for the great info!

Martin, When I buy/build speakers it will be back in the US but it would be interesting to hear gear in Xi'an. Steve

martin_wu99
01-05-2017, 11:11 PM
Not at all. In fact, as I read more I am thinking that there are other, better options for a mid base. I just saw a mention in another thread that the 128H was a good transducer to use as a mid bass with the 2235. some searching for speakers that use the 128H led to the 120Ti and others that seemed to be suitable for use as a turnkey, get started set of speakers with a thought of experimenting with the 128H as a mid base in a 4 way without too much trouble.

I ran across the HJames thread you mention this morning. I have not read it thoroughly, just kind of skimmed through it. If I was designing for a 4 way, 212X would seem to be the way to go although it seems as though they are not readily available. That would allow me to use a much smaller horn.

Thanks for the great info!

Martin, When I buy/build speakers it will be back in the US but it would be interesting to hear gear in Xi'an. Steve
Steve,you are welcome to make home visit in Xi'an city,there are many hifi fans around me:D

SteveJewels
01-07-2017, 05:23 PM

Your post has been extremely helpful. Thank you!!!

You are right and have saved me from wandering down a path that would likely not lead where I want to go.

The 222X series of speakers are more what I was looking for as a mid bass, just didn't realize it until your post. Your insight and links gave me a few days of really interesting reading and prompted further searching and help me to pick a path, actually two. :)

The speakers that I have and where I really want to go point to a 4 way system, a version of the 4343 if you will, so I will begin the search for a pair 222X's.

In the mean time I still want a 'ready to play' pair of speakers and having been relieved of the constraint of find a pair with a particular woofer I am free to pick the from the best (sound, price, aesthetics, availability etc.) 3 way JBLs with a 12" woofer that I can find. I need to develop that list. Fun stuff.

Thanks again!

Steve

martin_wu99
01-08-2017, 07:23 PM
Your post has been extremely helpful. Thank you!!!

You are right and have saved me from wandering down a path that would likely not lead where I want to go.

The 222X series of speakers are more what I was looking for as a mid bass, just didn't realize it until your post. Your insight and links gave me a few days of really interesting reading and prompted further searching and help me to pick a path, actually two. :)

The speakers that I have and where I really want to go point to a 4 way system, a version of the 4343 if you will, so I will begin the search for a pair 222X's.

In the mean time I still want a 'ready to play' pair of speakers and having been relieved of the constraint of find a pair with a particular woofer I am free to pick the from the best (sound, price, aesthetics, availability etc.) 3 way JBLs with a 12" woofer that I can find. I need to develop that list. Fun stuff.

Thanks again!

Steve
Have you studied 4348\4343\4344\4344MKII??They are all 4way systems that with 15 inch woofers

SteveJewels
01-09-2017, 04:40 AM
I was not familiar with them, thank you Martin.

The architecture of the 4348 is generally the direction I am going, a horn tweeter and mid and a cone mid bass and woofer.