PDA

View Full Version : pros and cons on using break oil to treat Lansaloy surounds

pyonc
01-04-2017, 09:23 AM
Hi friends,

While searching in this forum for some info on treating ageing Lansaloy surrounds, I found an interesting thread on this:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?27548-Lansaloy-DOT3-Surround-Treament-for-LE-14A-and-others&highlight=L101

Is it really safe and recommendable to use DOT 3 break fluid oil for Lansaloy treatment?
I've got C54 and L101, with the woofers fitted with Lansaloy surrounds.
They still sound good, but over time the surrounds might need replacement with new ones or DOT treatment like this.
Any feedback or advice much appreciated in advance, especially from those with actual experience.

Chris Brown
01-04-2017, 06:12 PM
The two real options that can result in the woofer functioning correctly are to either soften up the lansaloy (using brake fluid or similar) or cut it off and replace the lansaloy with foam. What do you mean by asking if it is safe? Safe for what? It's certainly no more dangerous to the lansaloy than cutting the lansaloy off to replace it with foam would be. Ignoring the stiff lansaloy is not a realistic option either unless you don't consider the lack of bass (due to the woofer not functioning correctly) to not be a big deal.

The key with using the brake fluid is to go slow, apply a small amount at a time. Using Q-tips works. Dip the Q-tip in the brake fluid, then gently touch it against the lansaloy and allow the lansaloy to basically absorb it. Start away from the cone, and very slowly move toward the cone. Give the brake fluid time to soak in and spread before you put more on and/or get closer to the cone. You don't want the brake fluid to be absorbed into the exposed part of the cone, or it can result in some unsightly discoloration.

pyonc
01-05-2017, 03:29 AM
The two real options that can result in the woofer functioning correctly are to either soften up the lansaloy (using brake fluid or similar) or cut it off and replace the lansaloy with foam. What do you mean by asking if it is safe? Safe for what? It's certainly no more dangerous to the lansaloy than cutting the lansaloy off to replace it with foam would be. Ignoring the stiff lansaloy is not a realistic option either unless you don't consider the lack of bass (due to the woofer not functioning correctly) to not be a big deal.

The key with using the brake fluid is to go slow, apply a small amount at a time. Using Q-tips works. Dip the Q-tip in the brake fluid, then gently touch it against the lansaloy and allow the lansaloy to basically absorb it. Start away from the cone, and very slowly move toward the cone. Give the brake fluid time to soak in and spread before you put more on and/or get closer to the cone. You don't want the brake fluid to be absorbed into the exposed part of the cone, or it can result in some unsightly discoloration.

Thanks!:applaud:I ordered one. Let me try it as you advise.