PDA

View Full Version : Recommended vendor for repair of L-series drivers

MMM
12-17-2016, 08:05 PM
Hello,

I have a pair of L7's that I've owned since purchasing them new in 1996.

Both my 12" and 8" woofers need to be re-coned (the 12's due to deterioration, and the 8" due to a cat using them for a scratch post [he's not allowed by them anymore]). While I am considering searching for NOS replacements, should I instead have them repaired are there any particular vendors that are recommended to bring them back to original spec, along with any particular re-cone kits? I'm not confidant in my abilities in performing these repairs myself.

Besides NOS, I've looked at used drivers that are sometimes available. The 8" ones are often not from an L7, and while the drivers themselves are the same, it concerns me to use a set that were originally from a L5 or L3 given they were "pushed" to deliver lower bass in those applications vs the L7's, and I'd guess this has taxed the drivers in a way that might affect their sound when installed in my L7's. Is this a valid concern?

Thank you...

rdgrimes
12-17-2016, 09:09 PM
Your cheapest route by far is used drivers. True you may have to chuck one or 2 that turn up bad, but its still cheaper. Sometimes buying a complete set of used speakers is cheaper. For the most part they either work or don't. Many will need new surrounds, which is a lot cheaper than a re-cone.

BMWCCA
12-18-2016, 08:02 AM
Your cheapest route by far is used drivers. True you may have to chuck one or 2 that turn up bad, but its still cheaper. Sometimes buying a complete set of used speakers is cheaper. For the most part they either work or don't. Many will need new surrounds, which is a lot cheaper than a re-cone.I've been watching L7 parts pricing for several years. In general, an entire used system can often sell for less than two LE120H-1s. The last two LE120H-1s sold on eBay went for $150 and $200 (+$43 shipping), each. There are two available as I type this $200, and $300. There is also a pair offered for $239 including shipping: http://www.ebayitem.com/122269732957

I've purchased two perfect L7 systems locally, both from Craig's List, and didn't pay over $200 for either pair. The key is local purchase. One was just two-houses down my own road! And I'm in nowhere near as large a population center as the OP probably is.

Complete pairs of L7 are languishing on eBay without bids at asking prices of $700 to $900. No wonder so many are being parted out. I'm not condoning parting out JBLs, and I've never done it. But I have purchased parts from those who have!

MMM
12-19-2016, 12:02 AM
Thank you both. Should I consider the repair route, are there brands of re-cone materials/surrounds recommended to use (or avoid)?

Re used, is my concern with using the 708G-1's from a non L7 correct?

BMWCCA
12-19-2016, 05:08 AM
Thank you both. Should I consider the repair route, are there brands of re-cone materials/surrounds recommended to use (or avoid)?

Re used, is my concern with using the 708G-1's from a non L7 correct?I would doubt if there is a re-cone kit available for the LE120H-1 from JBL or anyone else. As for condition of any used driver, it depends. The problem with the 708 seems to be separation of the surround material. I have suggested the cause could be abuse in the smaller systems but then I own L1, L3, L5, and L7s and none of the surrounds have any issues. I'd go used and just check out the surrounds on what you're purchasing first through detailed photos. Good luck.