PDA

View Full Version : Parts Express Woofer Cabinet

Chas
12-09-2004, 12:12 PM
Has anyone tried the PE 3 cu. ft. cabinet with a SUB 1500? I haven't seen one in the flesh, it may be a tad flimsy. For the price, it may be worth picking up a couple and perhaps reinforcing it with additional internal bracing. The price sure is right. :D
Part Number 302-820

David Dryden
12-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Just bought one of those for a "quick fix" for one of my Sub 1500's. You are correct in that they are kinda "flimsy". Don't get me wrong, they are well made, but constructed with 3/4" MDF and the "internal bracing" is just a ~4" piece of MDF stretched from side to side about 3/4 the way back from the front panel. Obviously, doesn't do anything for the top, bottom, front or back (and quite frankly, doesn't do much to help the sides either).

I bought my cabinet because I was getting impatient trying to make time to build one with my limited shop space and tools (no table saw... yet). Parts Express used to sell a knock-down kit that was much more substantial looking. It was made with 1" MDF and had more of a matrix style bracing scheme. It was priced about the same as the unit I bought, but you had to assemble and finish it yourself. They don't have it anymore, unfortunately (at least I didn't see it online or in the latest catalog).

The net result? I'm pretty happy with the sound anyway. I installed spike feet and a hefty recessed binding post cup along with some polyfill stuffing. Yeah, you could mix drinks on top of the cabinet while playing Telarc's 1812 Overture (shaken, not stirred!), but this woofer just rocks my world! Again, I'm treating this cabinet as a "temporary" fix anyway. Both of my 1500's will eventually get "real" cabinets with decent bracing. I just need to wait until I get my garage and shop built this Spring.

Chas
12-10-2004, 05:53 AM
Thanks David, I think I might try a couple, but I would probably spend some time attempting to stiffen the panels if possible without sacrificing too much loss of volume.

My woodworking skills are limited so they could be a good alternative. Do they ship them knocked down or preassembled?

David Dryden
12-10-2004, 02:16 PM
They are completely assembled and finished, including the grill. All you will have to do is cut the hole for the woofer and mounting screws (get the "Hurricane" t-nuts from PE. Very nice), the hole for whatever type of binding post setup you choose, and feet/spikes. Really is a nice looking cabinet. If you can figure out a way to substantially brace the insides, it should do nicely. Let us know how you make out!

Steve Gonzales
12-10-2004, 03:11 PM
As I read the response about internal bracing and the loss of internal volume, i wonder if some type of heavy gauge metal braces would do? L shaped steel or Aluminum? Put a bead of liquid nails and then use short drywall screws to affix?
I wonder if some of the more experienced members would chime in and give the pro's and con's of such an idea. I have a feeling there might be some resonance issues but it seems the int.vol. issue would be met and strength issue too.

ANYBODY ??

Mr. Widget
12-10-2004, 03:49 PM
I would be concerned about metal braces ringing. I have found the best braces are kiln dried 2X4s or better yet doubled up 3/4" birch plywood. You just can't build a box that is over braced.

Widget

Steve Gonzales
12-10-2004, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I kinda figured that would be a problem but now I know for sure. Thank you.

David Dryden
12-11-2004, 08:45 AM
The biggest problem with adding internal bracing to these cabinets is getting the bracing inside. The boxes are completely assembled and painted with NO holes cut when you take them out of the box. The only large hole you're going to have to get the braces into is the hole for the woofer, which is just under 14" in diameter. Adding more internal bracing is going to be akin to building a ship in a bottle.

Personally, I haven't given it much thought up until now. Using two pieces of wood with a full length hinge in the middle so that the brace could be folded, inserted in through the hole and positioned (cut to fit tightly) then permanently glued and screwed in place, might be the ticket. The hinged side would have to face away from you so that you could glue and screw another piece of wood to bridge the hinge area making it effectively one piece of wood when all is said and done.

As long as you don't go overboard, I don't think the added mass inside would have too much of an effect as these cabinets are 3 cubes to begin with. I recall a couple of people here have made smaller cabs and obtained good results.

clmrt
12-13-2004, 10:24 AM
MCM / inone electronics sells the OEM Rava box in Oak for $90. 2.17 ft3.

The site is a pain to use, and it doesn't show photos anymore. But when it did illustrate the product, it was indeed the Rava. Enlarge the hole (11.125) and there you go!