PDA

View Full Version : advice on how to go about DIY speakers using vintage JBL componants

aaronz28
11-29-2016, 05:33 AM
So, i work for an organ company that recently acquired a CNC... we've begun production on our own speakers for digital church organs and they've turned out fabulous... so that got me thinking -

I owned for about a year - a pair of really magnificent DC10 Audio speakers - either britton or berlins (can't recall the model) but they were a limited run that used the JBL 123A from the 4311, and a fostex horn - with this big wooden bowl - they were fantastic - and a killer improvement on the 4311 in my opinion (as i had 3 across the front of my Home Theater at the time)

SO that got thinking about making a horn loaded version of the 4311 or some variant of -

now that I have and can use the CNC to cut all my parts out with precision (far more than I could ever do with a table saw)

Anyone have any specific advice as to going about finding plans for a tuned box, and horn dimensions - and with what drivers/crossovers etc.

I really have very limited knowledge of speaker design, but i'm quite certain with guidance, i could build something fantastic.

Any help>

Don C
11-29-2016, 10:49 AM
I'd suggest to go over to audiokarma, and search for econowave. Be prepared to read for a long time.