PDA

View Full Version : JBL LS vs Revel Concerta 2

raschneider
11-22-2016, 09:33 AM
I thought I would post on here and see if anyone had some input on this. I have been using a SVA setup since the late 90's. Right now I am using a SVA Center, SVA 1800's as mains, and SVA 1600's as rears. I had short listed a Revel set up as replacements C208, F208 and undecided for rear. With the LS series being discontinued there are some great deals out there. Unfortunately there is no way to listen to the LS's. How would the LS's compare to the Revel's? The LS's seem to have mixed reviews. And there is not really much information out there. What would I be giving up by going with the LS's? I am assuming either choice would be a upgrade over the SVA's.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

raschneider
11-22-2016, 04:56 PM
Well, I guess we are going to find out about the LS's. I went ahead and ordered them. They should be here Friday. For the price I had to give them a shot. I am thinking they have got to be an improvement over the 20yr old JBL SVA's I have been using. Amazon has the whole LS line for really low prices. I ordered one center and four LS60's for $1400, or $299 for each speaker. They also had the LS80's for $499ea. Given that I was planning on spending $7000ish for a Revel setup, this could be one heck of a deal. Or, $1500 experiment gone wrong....

grumpy
11-22-2016, 05:38 PM
Sounds like quite a deal (more than 1/2 off?) and a reasonable approach to the price-point design
and an emphasis on imaging (horn + 1 rolled off woofer for a tighter mid-up grouping).

I'm sure you've googled the reviews, which were mixed but mostly positive. A sub might be a useful
addition, depending on your preferences. I've heard the Revels, which I'm sure you'd also enjoy, but
at quite a premium vs this particular deal.

I hope your experiment is a success :)

Mr. Widget
11-22-2016, 08:03 PM
I had a pair of LS80s at home for a few weeks and thought they were pretty good but a little over priced. At these prices I'm sure you'll be happy with them.

Congratulations!

Widget

raschneider
11-23-2016, 07:21 AM
I just noticed I had the title wrong. I had been looking at the Revel Performa3's. I still might make that move at some point.

The current prices are about over 70% off original retail.

Widget, what was your over all impression of the LS80's? I know you said you felt they were over priced, but at $299ea that kind of removes that from the equation. And I guess the real question is, are they going to be an improvement over the SVA's? My use is probably 70/30 music/movies. Most of the music is background listening. I also have two HTPS400 subs that I will be keeping.