PDA

View Full Version : Jbl 2350 horn for home use?

panduro
11-20-2016, 05:49 AM
Hello guys,
a Pa guy in my area is Selling a pair of Jbl 2350 horns, He is asking just below 300usd for The horns and adapter.

search funktion comes up empty, so thought i'd ask.

how would the 2350 on a 2445 do in a ht with Dual Jbl 2225h's below it(actively xover) like in an Everest 66000 configuration. Or is there other horns in similar layout and price on the marked i should consizer instead?

best regards
pAnduro

audiomagnate
11-22-2016, 05:43 AM
Hello guys,
a Pa guy in my area is Selling a pair of Jbl 2350 horns, He is asking just below 300usd for The horns and adapter.

search funktion comes up empty, so thought i'd ask.

how would the 2350 on a 2445 do in a ht with Dual Jbl 2225h's below it(actively xover) like in an Everest 66000 configuration. Or is there other horns in similar layout and price on the marked i should consizer instead?

best regards
pAnduro

You can get them for half that here, but I'm sure you Scandinavians are tired of hearing that. They work great for home use if no one objects to the way they look.

panduro
11-22-2016, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the answer mate👍,
Haha yeah Well thats life.

LOL someone Will mind, but the speakers Wont be used in the House( no room for Big speakers) but in the barnlike building next to the House, we use it as ht, party and karaoke room.

setup Will be dual 2225h side by side in a 10cf cabinet with 2350 and 2445 and a 2404/2405 on top.

best regards

panduro

speakerdave
11-22-2016, 09:55 AM
They are a large fairly light casting, so you need to knuckle tap them for a bell-like sound to be sure neither one is cracked. Then when you mount them you will want to employ some strategy to dampen them.

panduro
11-22-2016, 02:33 PM
Good evening Dave and thanks for the advice.
Ill be sure to do a Quick drum solo on them, before making up my mind.
Is a Layer of 3mm bitumen plate heated to fit around the horn adequete for damping ringing and vibrations?
Best regards
panduro

sebackman
11-22-2016, 02:51 PM
Hi,

I would get something newer. The 2" drivers do have a real disadvantage in higher frequencies compared to the newer 1,5", especially in HiFi use.

Unless you already do have the drivers I would search for a pair of 2447 or Neo versions if you can find them at a decent price. Later you can fit an SL or 475Nd diaphragm and never look back. That would give you a brilliant 2-way. With the 2” drivers you will probably keep searching for the “sparkles” and end up with a 3-way system.

You don't need the throw length for domestic use so go for a more "modern" horn like 2332 that can be found cheap and is strong enough to carry the 2447 without support.
An even better alternative is the new JBL VTX F15 waveguide that is very close to the fantastic M2 and only cost $65 from Speakerexchange. If you go for that with a 2447 you may need to add some support for the driver in the cabinet as it is plastic compared to the 2332 being cast aluminum.

https://reconingspeakers.com/product/jbl-horn-lens-5006815-stx825/ (https://reconingspeakers.com/product/jbl-horn-lens-5006815-stx825/)

There are also other newer horns to consider and only your ears can be the judge, but I personally would stay away from the older designs when starting from scratch and not replicating an entire design as a 43xx monitor or similar.

The difference between the older and the last generation horn/waveguides is indeed very audible.

Kind regards
//RoB

grumpy
11-22-2016, 03:01 PM
If the "later" version (still old), they likely have the largest surfaces coated in aquaplas, and may not require further damping other than mounting. My (no cracks) gray version with the aquaplas doesn't really ring when knocked. Very early versions (painted casting... often black) would benefit from such a treatment as you've described... most of the benefit would be on the top/bottom surfaces.

fun horns when you have the space :)

Good evening Dave and thanks for the advice.
Ill be sure to do a Quick drum solo on them, before making up my mind.
Is a Layer of 3mm bitumen plate heated to fit around the horn adequete for damping ringing and vibrations?
Best regards
panduro

panduro
11-23-2016, 02:36 AM
Hi rob and grumpy, as allways, thank for answering.

The 2225's and 2445's i Got a week ago, we needed a pair of decent Pa speakers for a teenage birthday, but i dont like the cabinet shape and size, so Will reado it.

Rob, you are right, 2445 do Roll off to early and Sound a harsh at High frequencys. I dont mind adding a Jbl 2404/2405 as i Can find Those at a good price.
2445 and 2441 are the large Jbl comp drivers i see on the marked from time to time. Hope to find a 2441 at a good price with some patience.

about the 2350, i know its kind of ridicoules reason, but i Think it would look awesome on top of 2 2225's thats side by side. The horns hight, Also puts the highS at earlevel.
i havent been able to find Any "modern" very wide and small erhmm hight horns. Suggestions would be appriciated. If you know of diy plans for modern horns that could fit my wishes that would be awesome(Got a Wood guy who is wants a Challenge).

The 2350 i found are light color gray, but do NOT know What an aqua.... surface looks Like, but ill go see Them friday when the seller returns.

Best regards
panduro

johanwholst
11-23-2016, 04:59 AM
Hi Panduro
I have done some testing of the 2350 horn this fall. Tried it with 2446 in two different setups and two rooms
Our living room where we normally listen to a M2ish clone. Large room. Long distance to side walls

My speaker laboratory/store room in the basement. Tiny room. Very short distance to acoustically treated side walls. Sorry for the mess in the picture

I like the horns very much in both settings, but especially well where they have a long distance to reflecting surfaces. They play large, and in many ways larger than M2 waveguide, but "rougher"
They also support a 600hz crossover very well, and this is ideal towards your 2225.

I agree with your point that the low height is very practical. Except vertical dispersion is not great in a near field application, and you really hear a difference when you sit up from the listening position.
But another advantage of the low height is that it makes the intergration of a tweeter quite smooth.
speaking of tweeter... I prefer 077 (2405) over 2404 with this horn.

srm51555
11-23-2016, 07:40 AM
I was just watching Joe Cocker at Woodstock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POaaw_x7gvQ) and found the following in the background.

panduro
11-23-2016, 08:57 AM
Hello Johan and Thanks for Your input.
alot of different opinions on this horn apparantly.

so you would Choose a Cross over point at around 600?

Best regards
panduro

johanwholst
11-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Well, I did not expect them to sound as good as they do, and was pleasantly surprised. Mine are damped from the factory, but I am sure that a treatment with bitumen/automotive rock guard would make them better.
Yes, atleast for crossing over to 2225, I would definately recommend a crossover point of no higher than 600hz. The horn and driver is fully cabable of this crossover point.
I feel that the lower crossover compared to my M2´s give the horn that magnificent grunt that makes especially loud rock very fun to listen to

I am quite sure that you will be happy with the 2350 in a party setup in your barn. Even more fun would be the 2360 horn, but then we are talking about a quite tall stack on top of the dual 2225´s, and tweeter implementation would be way more complicated.

hsosdrum
11-23-2016, 06:15 PM
I was just watching Joe Cocker at Woodstock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POaaw_x7gvQ) and found the following in the background.

Those are Altec A7s topped with Altec 311 or 511 horns. Bill Hanley did the sound at the original Woodstock festival and used A7s for on-stage sidefills, and custom-built bass horns loaded with 2 x JBL 15s topped with Altec 1005 and 805 multicells for the front-of-house (main) system.

panduro
11-25-2016, 04:34 AM
Just talked to the seller, he now changed his price from 300usd for horns and adapter to 300 for horns and 150 for adapters:eek::eek::banghead::banghead:.
Told him to give me a ding If he changed his mind.
Oh well, have a good weekend and Thanks for all the answers.

best regards
panduro

johanwholst
11-25-2016, 06:39 AM
I think that is an unfair price, but hopefully he changes his mind. I payed 300 for mine WITH jbl 2440 (pretty beaten)

If your woodworking friend is ready for some action, a Yuichi Horn would be a decent challenge.
Should not be too hard to build, but there is always a challenge getting the horn adapter right.
You find plans here:
http://www.geocities.jp/arai401204/Download_Page/Download.html

A little inspiration in this tread:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?38845-Yuichi-horn-a-290-with-JBL-2445J-high-end-project

panduro
11-25-2016, 09:13 AM
Hi johan, If he Can sell it at tjat price it marked value, just irritating He is changing price, his original price should be it...
damm thats cheap, he has pair of 2440 with 2441 diaphrams and a pair of 2441. The horn With a set of those drivers he asking 1000usd. Nice prices If he Can sell it...

thanks for the link, ill look into that option :)

beSt regards
panduro

Hans Bleeker
10-17-2017, 02:32 PM
78695I use them with a 2446 (2451SL membrame ) and they sing like I never could get the 2352's to sing, and yes I ditched the 2447 long time ago, horrid driver, something is missing in it for music. The ease and musicality I get out of these make me want to say, GO FOR IT :)