PDA

View Full Version : Info on replacing rubber surrounds

andresohc
12-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Does anyone have info on re-edging rubber surrounds? I dont know if it is possible but if it is I could use info on a source for the surrounds and any info. I have some 5 1/4" midbasses I need to fix. The rubber is like the 115H-1 surrounds in feel but I think the sun baked them and they cracked. I couldnt find anything on the site search.

Infredible
12-09-2004, 11:53 AM
There's the excelent Bo Resurround Step by Step thread.

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=469&highlight=NEW+SURROUNDS

Fred.

andresohc
12-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the response. Bo's thread is great. I have been re edging foam surrounds for some time but have never re edged the harder rubber surrounds found on some of the woofers. Actually I am not that sure that it can be done. I may experiment with a burnt 115H-1 that I plan on reconing anyway. I cant find anything anywhere on fixing the rubber surrounds so I will have to wing it. If I am successful I will post a report.

If I can get the old stuff of the cone without destroying it, I could refoam the edge but I assume the foam has a different compliance then the rubber and would mess up the fs of the woofer (among other things).