PDA

View Full Version : An Affordable Music Server

Mr. Widget
11-13-2016, 11:20 PM
I recently set up a music server and thought I'd share the details for those considering adding one. The route I took was very simple, very affordable, and sounds remarkably good. It can be improved upon and I may at some point, but for now the convenience of having almost all of my CDs at my finger tips and in stunningly good quality has been ear opening. I find myself creating playlists, and playing music that I hadn't bothered to play in years. It is good to break out of the normal rotation. :bouncy:

Background and system details to establish a point of reference... if you don't have the patience to read through this part go directly to The Server to get the set up details.

The audio quality of the server described below will likely satisfy almost anyone. I am a pretty picky customer and have been happily using it in my "above average system". My digital playback reference is my obscenely expensive and IMO obscenely good Mark Levinson No 512 SACD player. The ML No512 uses an Esoteric disc spinner with an exotic clocking system, data buffer, and unique DAC. I have not heard every digital playback system... but this one is the best one I've heard, or put another way; I haven't heard a better one.

I have done extensive comparisons between my Mark Levinson No 512 SACD player and my Wadia via my Bryston DAC or the new server through the Bryston DAC. Disc depending the ML No512 can sound somewhat better or indistinguishable. Typically I do prefer the No512 but can't always put a finger on it. I have balanced the two to within 0.1dB and made numerous double blind comparisons. At the most extreme, the ML No512 has more air and space between the instruments and even the notes if that makes sense. That said, the differences are typically so subtle there is no point in loading a silver disc unless I'm really going to focus. Originally I was considering adding a Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB and possibly their Alpha DAC. While I'm sure these would be a step up over the Bryston DAC and a simple USB cable, I doubt the Berkeley Audio Design pair will exceed the ML No512 and since the difference is already so close to the point of diminishing returns, I've decided to live with the compromise.

I also have had a Sonos Connect as a source in my system with a S/PDIF connection to my DAC. Most of my music resides redundantly on a NAS drive which Sonos can access. While I love the convenience and the Sonos user interface is great, the sonic compromise has led me to rarely use it.

FWIW: My system consists of a Mark Levinson No326S analog preamp, some analog phono gear, the already mentioned ML No 512, the Bryston BDA-1 DAC, a Wadia 170i dock, a Meridian 500 CD transport, a Meyer Sound CP-10 EQ employing (2) narrow band cut filters per channel for some room issues, a pair of Parasound Halo JC-1 mono blocks, and a pair of DD66000/DD67000 speakers. (DD66000s upgraded to DD67000s).

The Server:

I was given a "mid 2010" Mac Mini from a friend. You can pick one up on eBay for $200-$300. This model has a built in CD read/write drive which is very convenient and is current enough to support the latest free software updates. The newer models do not have a built in disc drive, have faster connections and processors, but also cost more. I bought an external 2T drive, but this is optional. Mac Minis have an HDMI output, Toslink optical, and USB outputs. If you connect to an AVR you can use the HDMI or optical output. If you connect to an external DAC you will probably want to use the USB output. (With my DAC the optical did not sound as good as the USB.) If you are playing files with higher resolution than Redbook and want to use the USB output you may need a USB to S/PDIF converter.

I am using the computer's built in iTunes application as the server's backbone. I have imported about 620 CDs (Some Apple lossless others are uncompressed) into this computer's iTunes library and cleaned up the duplications, album art issues etc. I then picked up the free "Remote" app for iPads and iPhones and loaded it on my phone and my iPad. This computer is dedicated to my music system. Since there are no other applications running on it, once set up I removed the monitor and keyboard. My only interface with the server is via the Remote app. From my listening chair I can use the app to create playlists and to search by song, album, artist, or composer. When you hit play it is instantaneous, you can hop from song to song, jump from one genre to another on the fly and it is amazingly quick.

That's it. All you need is the $200 computer a USB cable to connect to the DAC of your choice or connect to an AVR with an HDMI or Toslink cable. If you want to avoid the monitor and keyboard like I did you will need an iPhone or iPad. I really like the Remote app. If you do not own an iPhone or iPad, you can pick an older iPhone for $50 and use it as a small iPad (no plan needed but you do need your own wifi).

You can go to Computer Audiophile (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/) and spend gobs of time and money, and geek out to your heart's content, or you can do what I did and get a pretty damned good bang for your few bucks.

Widget

SEAWOLF97
11-14-2016, 07:57 AM
I've been doing a similar thing with a large (19 inch screen) Sony Vaio dual core laptop. That's the one that I took in trade for the cheap L7's.

It has optical o/p and hdmi. 4 USB ports. Run it to an external DAC . The DVD drive does an admirable job on CD ripping.

Never felt the need to connect up a remote , I just let it go on either a playlist or shuffle. iTunes is OK, but is frustrating on Windows.

It runs out to the BGW pre & amp and eventually to the 250Ti's. No complaints about the produced sound.

All that said ..... the same CD sounds 3D and even better on the stand alone ARCAM CD player. If I ever got serious about it, would just connect the deck to the Sony.

I do dub from that deck to Minidisk which allows portability between all my MD connected systems. The disks are really superb sounding. I did a demo for the buyer of my second pair of 250's , the soundtrack from the movie "V for Vendetta" , a dub that was on MD (prior to acquiring the ARCAM) . He was blown away and assumed that I was spinning a SACD.

Allanvh5150
11-14-2016, 10:55 PM
I have been using a Mac mini in the same way for quite a few years now. The only difference in my system is that the Mac mini connects wirelessly to an Apple TV and then via optical cable to my main system. Super easy and it works pretty well.

Allan.

hjames
11-15-2016, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the heads up, Mr Widget!

I have been using a Mac mini in the same way for quite a few years now. The only difference in my system is that the Mac mini connects wirelessly to an Apple TV and then via optical cable to my main system. Super easy and it works pretty well.

Allan.

I go the mac Wifi route as well ...
I have roughly 50k tracks on a 3TB drive connected via eSATA to an early 2009 Macpro upstairs in my office -
most tracks are lossless but my wife does occasionally buy pop tracks from Amazon or the ITMS (@ 256kbps).
Stream over the latest, greatest Airport Express/Extreme (802.11ac format) - into a AudioAlchemy DAC and a Jolida 502 CRC tube Amp upstairs,
or into an eMotiva DAC, B&K amps, and the UREI speakers downstairs.

None of this is lexicon/Bryston level gear, but it works well on a scrounger's budget :)

I do have a couple of older macMinis on a shelf - think they are intel era ones.
Not sure the exact age, but sounds like it'd be worthwhile to look into them further, for direct-tied server!

Mr. Widget
11-15-2016, 01:36 PM
Never felt the need to connect up a remote, I just let it go on either a playlist or shuffle. iTunes is OK, but is frustrating on Windows.If you ever get a chance, give remote access a try. It fundamentally changed my listening habits and significantly broadened my listening repertoire.

Allan."Super easy" is key. With so little cash outlay and very little effort, I was able to make this remarkably convenient addition to my system.

Thanks for the heads up, Mr Widget!

None of this is lexicon/Bryston level gear, but it works well on a scrounger's budget :)

I do have a couple of older macMinis on a shelf - think they are intel era ones.
Not sure the exact age, but sounds like it'd be worthwhile to look into them further, for direct-tied server!By connecting it directly to a quality DAC it also gives you top drawer sonic performance, but even if you took the analog audio out directly from the Mac Mini, it wouldn't suck and you could still have all of the convenience.

Are you using the Remote app?

Widget

hjames
11-15-2016, 03:27 PM
Absolutely! Remote app makes all the difference! Its radically changed my listening behaviors.

Sometimes I'll be reading a copy of MOJO Magaine and I can pick out music tracks to play and listen to
while I read about an artist or band ...
Or just put on some nice jazz by selecting an artist, or a genre (ECM Jazz) for instance ...
Or make up playlists I really like "Quiet Storm" (Smokey, and Lonnie Liston Smith and Marvin and ...)
Very easy, very affordable ...

If you ever get a chance, give remote access a try. It fundamentally changed my listening habits and significantly broadened my listening repertoire.

"Super easy" is key. With so little cash outlay and very little effort, I was able to make this remarkably convenient addition to my system.

By connecting it directly to a quality DAC it also gives you top drawer sonic performance, but even if you took the analog audio out directly from the Mac Mini, it wouldn't suck and you could still have all of the convenience.

Are you using the Remote app?

Widget

tinpan
11-20-2016, 08:56 AM
Mr Widget, have you tried the coax out of your Sonos to a DAC. Just wondering if you could hear a difference.

Funny you mention that Mac 2010 as a music sever. Once i figured out that Apple made it easy to set up a server like that I was onboard. It took me a while to figure out to connect via USB to a Dac, once I did, it was game over. The sound was great. My second revelation was using the SPDIF/toslink to a DAC instead of audio cable from the airport express for my remote systems. Eventually I migrated to Apple TV's for my wireless connections to my music set ups.

Apple really could have owned that market if they embraced Flac instead of forcing everyone to convert to AIF. 24 bit would have also been nice. Eventually I migrated to Sonos. For some reason I have a half dozen or so systems connected and the biggest challenge I had with using Apple for a music server was all of the security updates. It was really frustrating to sit down to listen to music and half to update all those Apple TV's before you could listen to music. The other challenge I had was all the wireless dropped connections. I've been an Apple fan since I made a living selling Mac's in the 1980's. It used to be you could just set their stuff up and it worked. I found it frustrating to be in the groove listening to an album only to have it stutter and miss. The direct connection from my Mac to Dac worked flawlessly, the wireless just wasn't quite up to snuff.

Now I have a Synology DS215 NAS with all of my music on it and I connect to Sonos Connects to all of my systems. Those are connected via coax to dacs. I can sit down with my iPhone and listen to any system in the hou..hou..well it's more of a compound.

Tidal is a nice subscription to add as well. That way I can try and album and if I like it, order it.

Fun stuff

hjames
11-20-2016, 11:00 AM
I agreed with you - the older Airport Express wallwarts used to drive me crazy with the occasional drop outs ...
but with the Airport extreme mini-tower and the newer white rectangular hockey pucks, I've not had an iTunes dropout yet ... The new ones are:

IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n
Simultaneous dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz

Now if they'd just accept FLAC in iTunes and on their phones ....

Mr Widget, have you tried the coax out of your Sonos to a DAC. Just wondering if you could hear a difference.

Funny you mention that Mac 2010 as a music sever. Once i figured out that Apple made it easy to set up a server like that I was onboard. It took me a while to figure out to connect via USB to a Dac, once I did, it was game over. The sound was great. My second revelation was using the SPDIF/toslink to a DAC instead of audio cable from the airport express for my remote systems. Eventually I migrated to Apple TV's for my wireless connections to my music set ups.

Apple really could have owned that market if they embraced Flac instead of forcing everyone to convert to AIF. 24 bit would have also been nice. Eventually I migrated to Sonos. For some reason I have a half dozen or so systems connected and the biggest challenge I had with using Apple for a music server was all of the security updates. It was really frustrating to sit down to listen to music and half to update all those Apple TV's before you could listen to music. The other challenge I had was all the wireless dropped connections. I've been an Apple fan since I made a living selling Mac's in the 1980's. It used to be you could just set their stuff up and it worked. I found it frustrating to be in the groove listening to an album only to have it stutter and miss. The direct connection from my Mac to Dac worked flawlessly, the wireless just wasn't quite up to snuff.

Now I have a Synology DS215 NAS with all of my music on it and I connect to Sonos Connects to all of my systems. Those are connected via coax to dacs. I can sit down with my iPhone and listen to any system in the hou..hou..well it's more of a compound.

Tidal is a nice subscription to add as well. That way I can try and album and if I like it, order it.

Fun stuff

Mr. Widget
11-20-2016, 12:26 PM
Mr Widget, have you tried the coax out of your Sonos to a DAC. Just wondering if you could hear a difference. Absolutely! I have a Sonos Connect with a coax feeding another input on my DAC. I love the Sonos interface and it's vast streaming capability.

I have a NAS that I use as a redundant back up and have listened to the same tracks via Sonos vs. disc spinner vs. the Mac Mini. Sonos unfortunately isn't in the same league, at least with my DAC in my system.

I use Sonos mostly as a streaming source and NPR. I never really use it to listen to music if I have the music on my hard drive.

Widget

tjm001
11-21-2016, 01:23 PM
Greetings Mr. Widget,

I very much like your idea about the "mid 2010" Mac Mini music server. I’m going to try to pick one up and try it. But as of now all I have tried as far as music through a computer has been downloading a few FLAC files on my Windows 10 PC. I then played them through a USB Dragonfly Red dongle DAC into my old Rotel Preamp and old Rotel amp into my L300s. Not enough material to make any major decisions on whether to spend big bucks on a DAC or a new disc player. Especially stuff like your Mark Levinson No 512 SACD player, Wadia and Bryston DAC!

I’m really curious as to how a little $198 Dragonfly Red DAC really sounds coming out of your music server compared to your DAC? I’d be happy to send the little bugger to you to find out. Unless, of course you already know the answer. Thanks.

Tom

Mr. Widget
11-21-2016, 02:30 PM
I'd be game to give it a go. I'm familiar with the Dragonfly line of USB DACs but I've never listened to one.

Before you buy a Mac Mini realize that Apple does not support Flac. Any content you have in that format would need to be run through software to convert it to Apple Lossless or AIFF. Not a big deal but it adds a hassle factor. Any CDs that you bring into iTunes via the Mac Mini's CD drive are easily saved in one of these formats directly.

Widget

tjm001
11-21-2016, 03:10 PM
I'd be game to give it a go. I'm familiar with the Dragonfly line of USB DACs but I've never listened to one.

Before you buy a Mac Mini realize that Apple does not support Flac. Any content you have in that format would need to be run through software to convert it to Apple Lossless or AIFF. Not a big deal but it adds a hassle factor. Any CDs that you bring into iTunes via the Mac Mini's CD drive are easily saved in one of these formats directly.

Widget
Great! I'll PM you for address to send to. Thanks.
Tom

Ed Zeppeli
11-21-2016, 06:18 PM
Speaking of DACs I'm trying to avoid converting twice from my Sonos Connect, into an analogue preamp and then into a dbx driverack.

Slightly off-topic but for a short run would it be within the realms of possibility to go from S/PDIF out (rca) into AES/EBU (xlr) using just a homemade cable and/or adapter?

This seems like my simplest solution to go from Sonos Connect directly into the Venu360 and avoid the extra conversion process. I'd use the Connect for volume control.

Thanks,

Warren

audiomagnate
11-22-2016, 05:37 AM
You can use a Chromecast Audio, with BubbleUPnP server and Logitech Media Server on your PC, and the paid version of the BubbleUPnP app on an Android phone or tablet. Total cost is under $40 and it streams up to 24/96 files (flac or wav), from the hard drive, or even the cloud without a PC. You can also use it for Tidal and other streaming services if you're OK with CD quality.

grumpy
11-22-2016, 08:44 AM
http://www.rane.com/note149.html

Ed Zeppeli
11-22-2016, 09:00 AM
Thanks grumpy. Rane was the first place I checked before I posted. I may try the direct method to see how it works before obtaining impedance matching XFMRs etc.

My latest conundrum is wondering whether or not the digital volume control of the Connect will effect resolution at lower listening levels.

All part of the learning curve here. :)

Mr. Widget
11-22-2016, 11:17 AM
My latest conundrum is wondering whether or not the digital volume control of the Connect will effect resolution at lower listening levels.Yes it will. Consider the digital volume control as a low-fi convenience feature.

Widget

audiomagnate
11-24-2016, 03:33 AM
You can use a Chromecast Audio, with BubbleUPnP server and Logitech Media Server on your PC, and the paid version of the BubbleUPnP app on an Android phone or tablet. Total cost is under $40 and it streams up to 24/96 files (flac or wav), from the hard drive, or even the cloud without a PC. You can also use it for Tidal and other streaming services if you're OK with CD quality.

No reaction to my under $40 solution? OK, I'll sell you one of my Kromecasters, which does 24/192 instead of just 24/96, for $3,499.

Ed Zeppeli
11-24-2016, 05:50 AM
No reaction to my under $40 solution? OK, I'll sell you one of my Kromecasters, which does 24/192 instead of just 24/96, for $3,499.

If I didn't already have a few Sonos Connects I'd definitely be looking at the Chromecast Audio. I have a few Chromecasts (original version) and they're great.

audiomagnate
11-24-2016, 09:09 AM
If I didn't already have a few Sonos Connects I'd definitely be looking at the Chromecast Audio. I have a few Chromecasts (original version) and they're great. Connect a regular (or new Chromecast Ultra) to an HDMI DAC and you have a "high end" Chromecast Audio. That's essentially what my Kromecaster is. You don't even need a computer (server) running if you've uploaded your files to the cloud. One Drive works the best. There's a tiny bit more lag time when playing files from the cloud vs. from a local server, but you can't beat the cool factor. It's the future of high end audio, I assure you. I've been doing it this way since 2014.

hjames
11-24-2016, 09:22 AM
Connect a regular (or new Chromecast Ultra) to an HDMI DAC and you have a "high end" Chromecast Audio. That's essentially what my Kromecaster is. You don't even need a computer (server) running if you've uploaded your files to the cloud. One Drive works the best. There's a tiny bit more lag time when playing files from the cloud vs. from a local server, but you can't beat the cool factor. It's the future of high end audio, I assure you. I've been doing it this way since 2014.

So the server is ... not needed. I just plug the Chromecast thingee into a spare HDMI port on my receiver,
(or an HDMI DAC, apparently), plug in its power supply and ... pick what I want to hear on my phone?
I use my phone to stream tracks from my NAS or existing computer to my audio system with this?

audiomagnate
11-25-2016, 03:59 AM
So the server is ... not needed. I just plug the Chromecast thingee into a spare HDMI port on my receiver,
(or an HDMI DAC, apparently), plug in its power supply and ... pick what I want to hear on my phone?
I use my phone to stream tracks from my NAS or existing computer to my audio system with this?

I've never used a regular Chromecast with a receiver but yeah. And I don't even know what an NAS is so it must be easy. If you want to stream music files from your computer's hard disk you will need to install (and configure) BubbleUPnP Server and Logitech Media Server on your computer and put BubbleUPnP ($3.99) on your Android (sorry iPhone users) phone or tablet. If you have previously uploaded the files to One Drive (other cloud services alter the files), you can stream them with just the phone. The Chromecast Audio has its own DAC (firmware limited to 24/96 for now) so you just plug it into a high level analog audio input of your preamp or receiver. The Chromecast Audio sounds (and measures) quite good. I've compared it to extensively to my $3,499 Kromecaster and they're very close indeed, even when it's downrezzing to 24/96. Not bad for 100/th the price! There is a bit of setup involved, but once you've configured everything the sound and ease of use is as good as it gets. For under $40. Here's an archived link to the first version. The current version has a choke filtered power supply and a much nicer case and sells for a lot more. link http://web.archive.org/web/20150320221711/http://www.kromecaster.com/

hjames
11-25-2016, 10:23 AM
I did a quick google - wikipedia says

Network-attached storage (NAS) is a file-level computer data storage server connected to a computer network providing data access to a heterogeneous group of clients. NAS is specialized for serving files either by its hardware, software, or configuration.

================================================== =============================

So basically it allows you to put drives on your network without having to run an actual computer OS/server -
No windows, no MacOS to worry about - probably a simple Unix varient server burned into firmware in the drive case ...

audiomagnate
11-25-2016, 12:35 PM
I did a quick google - wikipedia says

Network-attached storage (NAS) is a file-level computer data storage server connected to a computer network providing data access to a heterogeneous group of clients. NAS is specialized for serving files either by its hardware, software, or configuration.

================================================== =============================

So basically it allows you to put drives on your network without having to run an actual computer OS/server -
No windows, no MacOS to worry about - probably a simple Unix varient server burned into firmware in the drive case ...

I don't know exactly how the whole thing works, but "it" allows you to stream WAV or FLAC files from a computer that's on the same wireless network as the Chromecast attached to your stereo, or from Tidal or any other Chromecast compatible streaming service, AND your own files that you've uploaded to One Drive, even with your computer tuned off. Loading 24 bit files from the cloud takes a few seconds longer than from the computer, but it's a bit more elegant (in the physics definition of the word) and if your computer is in the same room as your system and has audible fan noise, that's a plus. I demoed it (The Kromecaster) at the 2014 in the Harman room, but it never really took off and other things have taken over my life in the interim so I haven't been able to market it properly.

Ed Zeppeli
11-25-2016, 04:12 PM
I just use a 'NAS' (external hard drive) attached via USB to my router. It shows up as a network drive on all devices on my wifi network and we can stream from there.

The cloud seems like a cool idea but for some reason I distrust it with my music collection.

Warren

JeffW
11-25-2016, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I use the decicedly non-budget approach of Synology NAS with Sonos Connect in most every room and the garage. I also have a couple of Chromecasts and one PC with all my ripped flac files (stored on the NAS) arranged with JRiver - and of course I can still play the CDs. It's hard to beat the Connect for flexibility and ease of use, at the expense of expense, but stream off the net or off a storage drive/NAS, you can even hook a turntable up to line in and play albums to every other Connect system. Hella dinero for even a couple of rooms - you still need a stereo system for each Connect, and they don't do hi-res files.

TL: DR Not a budget solution.

audiomagnate
11-26-2016, 06:15 AM
...The cloud seems like a cool idea but for some reason I distrust it with my music collection.

Warren

It's not like I upload my files and delete the originals, I've just keep a clone my music collection "up there."

speakerdave
12-21-2016, 02:41 PM
I've been running a similar set up for about two years, but have recently been having a problem. The setup is a 2.1 mini USB>Bryston BUC-1 S/PDIF>Bryston BDA-1. The BUC-1 makes itself the master clock. Until recently this all worked very well. A short time after turn on signal is lost except for very brief bursts. When the BUC-1 is switched off the Mac system midi defaults to internal audio. and I can hear the music over the internal speaker. When I change the sample frequency in the Mac's audio midi utility burst interval and duration both change. I substituted another UBS converter with a similar result: worked fine for some weeks and then the same symptom. Is this a clock fight? Any help would be appreciated.

speakerdave
12-21-2016, 03:37 PM
:banghead: I've been hearing music since restarting the Mac 165 minutes ago. (I can also hear the IT people groaning.)

Rev:5:10 pm

Mr. Widget
12-21-2016, 06:01 PM
Have you tried bypassing the BUC-1? In my system this sounds pretty darned good and no problem yet.

Widget

speakerdave
12-21-2016, 06:08 PM
Have you tried bypassing the BUC-1? In my system this sounds pretty darned good and no problem yet.

Widget

Haven't tried it, no. Where is your master clock? As I understand it, the computer clock may not be the most steady. I assume that is Bryston's reason for making the BUC-1 asynchronous. Or am I missing something here?

Apparently my problem was in the computer, and restarting it has been the remedy.

Mr. Widget
12-21-2016, 06:49 PM
Haven't tried it, no. Where is your master clock? As I understand it, the computer clock may not be the most steady. I assume that is Bryston's reason for making the BUC-1 asynchronous. Or am I missing something here?

Apparently my problem was in the computer, and restarting it has been the remedy.No master clock... I let the BDA-1 reclock the incoming signal. Sounds pretty good to me. Could it be better? Probably... possibly?

Glad to hear the reboot cleared this up. Computers that are run 24/7 do need a hard reboot every so often.

Widget

rusty jefferson
12-21-2016, 07:18 PM
It's unfortunate for us (the consumers) in some ways that digital devices are introduced and then obsoleted within weeks. If we can wait a few more weeks, we'll be rewarded with better sounding products.

Slightly newer products like the BDP-2 (and others) will sound better via USB directly than using the S/PDIF converter, which I think is Mr. Widget's query about eliminating the converter. Newer DACs reclock at the USB input. I think there's a concensus in "high end" only the Alpha USB converter sounds better than running direct to a USB DAC from a Mini, or CAPS, etc.

I'm not a fan of USB DACs in general, as I feel there is frequently "noise" from the computer that "dulls" the sound quality compared to the original CD source, but they are getting better all the time and cheaper. Something like the iFi Micro iDSD DAC (about $350) will likely outperform (sadly) the nice Bryston S/PDIF converter and DAC you're using.

speakerdave
12-21-2016, 08:07 PM
Maybe I should try running direct into the BDA-1. Both the BUC-1 and the BDP constitute an extra stage before the DAC via S/PDIF. Are you saying that the BUC-1 is a kludge having some design brain fart that was corrected in the BDP? Or are we talking about a price point?

I just read about the Berkeley Alpha converter. Lots of heroic measures deployed to resuscitate the patient.

rusty jefferson
12-21-2016, 08:35 PM
Sorry, I meant BDA-2 in my last post, not BDP-2.

You'll have to try it. The BDA-1 appears to only have USB 1.1 and is limited to 48khz. With the converter you can play Hirez files, but if you're only playing 44.1 files it may sound better without the converter. Most everything being made now is optimized for USB right from the server or the network player.

speakerdave
12-21-2016, 09:59 PM
Sorry, I meant BDA-2 in my last post, not BDP-2.

You'll have to try it. The BDA-1 appears to only have USB 1.1 and is limited to 48khz. With the converter you can play Hirez files, but if you're only playing 44.1 files it may sound better without the converter. Most everything being made now is optimized for USB right from the server or the network player.

Ok. I did have that sense from the beginning that the BDA-2 followed very closely on the -1, and I agree, one chassis is very likely better than two, even if for no other reason than the multiplicity of connections, other things being equal. You are right, also, that i am playing exclusively ripped CD's, so I will try skipping the BUC-1.

Damn.

speakerdave
12-22-2016, 08:15 AM
After more listening last evening I need to say that from that perspective I am certainly not unhappy with the sound, and it is a rule that I avoid chasing incremental improvements for their own sake. From the perspective of The Game one wants to get that last little bit of fidelity, but at some point I let that rest. Indeed, my original and continuing goal is simply to be able to listen to music without irritation from unignorable deficiencies of reproduction and the syllogistic denial mantras one employs to stave off looking for improvements. Beyond that, I have been for some time guilty of satisfying curiosity all too often.

To try the USB input on the BDA-1 I need to rearrange my set up, because the distance from my Mac mini is probably a stretch for USB signal. In the meantime I'm going to have to indulge curiosity and do a little exploring into hirez downloads.

Rusty, Widget--thank you for the guidance.

Audiobeer
12-28-2016, 01:50 PM
What a great thread. I've been using the Mac Mini.

Val
12-30-2016, 04:00 PM
A few years back, after the cat knocked my daughter's Apple late 2009 Macbook four feet to the ground breaking the screen, my media server was born. My daughter got a new laptop for college and I got a media server. My "monitor" is my 60" TV routed through my AVR. My output is thru a low end DAC, Schitt Modi gifted to me from a friend. And then iTunes and Remote. No great shakes but it works for me.

However, I find that there are two weird things about iTunes that perplex me.

First, is that as a media delivery vehicle, iTunes can handle 384k/32bit content no problem. Yet, does iTunes Store sell any lossless content? No. I had an email exchange with the product manager for Mastered for iTunes and they have no plans to move to lossless audio. Their thinking is that you can't tell the difference. Seems odd that the bucket (iTunes app) is capable but their content pipeline cannot take advantage of it. Oh well. I've completely stopped buying content from Apple preferring ripping hard media in AIFF or purchasing from HDTracks.

Second, under Apple's OS/X operating system, when iTunes plays back a music track, it looks at the format of the track itself, and then looks at the settings of the output device. If the settings do not match, iTunes will automatically convert the file from its own ‘native’ format to the format which the output device has been set to. If you paid for 96/24 version of Nirvana and your midi setting is at something lower, OSX down converts. Not good. BitPerfect, a $10 app, will automatically keep the output resolution in sync with the content format. Really, OSX should take care of this as a native feature of the OS but I'm happy for BitPerfect. So, don't buy music with that iTunes gift card, get BitPerfect.

Lovely thread...I like hearing about what folks are doing.

Mr. Widget
12-30-2016, 06:04 PM
Agreed on Bit Perfect and also about the iTunes Music Store. I have never bought any music from the iTunes Store and even deleted the free U2 album they dumped on us a few years back.

Obviously we are outliers however as millions of tracks have been sold to people preferring convenience to quality... but then for the most part they are listening through tiny Bluetooth speakers anyway.

Widget

Soloford
02-02-2017, 08:52 PM
I started my music server maybe 15 years ago. It currently consists of a small computer with 1 terabyte storage, Windows Media Player and a Prodigy Cube as the sound card. Windows media player lets me rip cd's to a variety of data densities up to and including lossless. I have something like 850 thousand songs so far, and maybe a hundred playlists, using about half of the hard drive. The complete library has been edited once so far to eliminate all one and two star ratings ( the songs that I didn't really care for).

I recorded (ripped) everything to 192kbps initially so that I can make thumb drives of any playlist to carry in the car (which only supports a max of 192's on wma files). Additionally, I re-ripped a lot of my cd's to lossless for playing in the house which sometimes gives me two copies of the same song or cd.

The Cube has three output modes...RCA, digital coax and digital optical. The coax and the optical provide better sound quality than the RCA output. The RCA and the digital coax can be split to provide more direct feeds into more sound systems. I am currently running 4 systems from it. The Cube also supports headphones.

The computer is silent and small. Windows provides all meta data relative to the music (album covers, track numbers, song titles, recording artist, contributing artist, etc.) All I have to do upon ripping is assign my own star rating to the song. And put it into a playlist if I want to at that time. Having the meta data is helpful for churning the data base for possible new playlists. I've migrated the entire library twice. I have physical backup on external terabyte hard drives.

(One thing ...if you have to migrate playlists you have to use move instead of copy...which destroys the backup, so you must have two backups when migrating. If you use copy...the playlists lose their references. Move creates new references so the playlist still plays. Just saying...)

This offers me a great deal of flexibility as far as changing system components and peace of mind relative to loss of data, has been relatively inexpensive and easy to maintain.

And really great sound.

Ed Zeppeli
02-02-2017, 09:20 PM
(One thing ...if you have to migrate playlists you have to use move instead of copy...which destroys the backup, so you must have two backups when migrating. If you use copy...the playlists lose their references. Move creates new references so the playlist still plays. Just saying...)

I used to use a free utility app from microsoft called Synctoy which was great for doing back-ups. It may be a good solution to this.

Cheers,

Warren