PDA

View Full Version : L300, 4343 or 4344, What would be the next step up for me?

Prisda
10-31-2016, 07:47 AM
Hi all,

I'm happy with my L200B and, since I use them with Mcintosh c22 + Mc 60 in my medium living room,
I think they are going to deliver everything I expect from a speaker system.

But, I'm interested in adventure.:D
What would be the next step up for me L300, 4343 or 4344?

I love jazz '60s, rock'70s, brass instruments, sometimes new acoustic cover songs.

Please advise.

Cheers,
Prisda

speakerdave
10-31-2016, 10:12 AM
Hi all,

I'm happy with my L200B and, since I use them with Mcintosh c22 + Mc 60 in my medium living room,

I love jazz '60s, rock'70s, brass instruments, sometimes new acoustic cover songs.

Please advise.

Cheers,
Prisda

Thank you for giving us all a chance to recount our experience and entertain our own fantasies. Many of us are fond of doing both.

No one can really say what your next step should be. Also, though I have done it, buying a model you have not heard is risky, unless recommended by someone whose ears you know and trust. Even the best-trained and experienced listeners have differences of opinion about audio gear. I think it is one of the great delusions of the twentieth century, and continuing, fostered by audio magazines, that someone can tell you what audio gear sounds like.

Having said all that, a few questions. What is your budget? Are you buying or building? What do you think you would like to improve about the speakers you say are making you happy? Why "next step"? Why not leap frog to something really grand?

Finally, when considering classic JBL speakers, realize there are originals in various states of preservation, carefully and conscientiously built and acknowledged reproductions, and outright fakes, which are appearing just now on eBay.

pyonc
10-31-2016, 11:00 AM
Hi all,

Please advise.

Cheers,
Prisda

If I were you, I would pick the four-way 4343 or 4344 for jazz or pop listening. As a jazz listener, my main gear is 4343.:)

audiomagnate
11-01-2016, 05:04 AM
If I were you, I would pick the four-way 4343 or 4344 for jazz or pop listening. As a jazz listener, my main gear is 4343.:)

If you like the look and size of your 200b's adding a 2405 tweeter would be a big improvement (assuming your HF hearing is intact). Adding damping, stuffing the ports, rolling them off at 50 into some good subs will take them to a whole new level.

srm51555
11-01-2016, 05:24 AM
If you like the look and size of your 200b's adding a 2405 tweeter would be a big improvement (assuming your HF hearing is intact). Adding damping, stuffing the ports, rolling them off at 50 into some good subs will take them to a whole new level.

+1 and they are easier to ship over to you.

Mannermusic
11-01-2016, 09:13 AM
Hi all,

Please advise.

Cheers,
Prisda

Endless possibilities. Just insert "L200" into the search box and you will find more info than you could wish for!