PDA

View Full Version : Space bar doesn't work

audiomagnate
10-31-2016, 07:00 AM
For some odd reason my space bar doesn't work when posting in the regular forums (it's working here). This is not a problem except for LH Forums. I'm using Chrome if that helps. Exiting the post and then going back into to edit fixes the problem until it occurs again.

SD Modiano
11-17-2016, 01:29 PM
I'm having the same issue. Also a Chrome user.

BMWCCA
11-17-2016, 07:08 PM
If I quote a post and reply a line below it, the space bar doesn't work in Chrome on my Mac. Started about a week ago. If I back up all the way to the quoted section and then start typing, it works fine. Odd. Didn't seem to have any problem just now typing a reply without a quote.

Ed Zeppeli
11-17-2016, 08:58 PM
If I quote a post and reply a line below it, the space bar doesn't work in Chrome on my Mac. Started about a week ago. If I back up all the way to the quoted section and then start typing, it works fine. Odd. Didn't seem to have any problem just now typing a reply without a quote.

Icanconfirmthatthisisalsoaproblemforme.

Intermittently.

Warren

brutal
11-17-2016, 10:53 PM
This is a problem widely reported by chrome users on another forum I frequent. Always when quoting in replies for me.

Have to hit enter after the first word to get any spaces, or go back and add them.

Annoying. Assuming this is going to get worse before it gets better and both vbulletin and Google need to get it figured out.

Here: vb 4.2.2
There: vb 4.2.1

Me: Win7 Pro Chrome Version 54.0.2840.71 m

brutal
11-17-2016, 10:54 PM
This is a problem widely reported by chrome users on another forum I frequent. Always when quoting in replies for me.

Have to hit enter after the first word to get any spaces, or go back and add them.

Annoying. Assuming this is going to get worse before it gets better and both vbulletin and Google need to get it figured out.

Here: vb 4.2.2
There: vb 4.2.1

Me: Win7 Pro Chrome Version 54.0.2840.71 m

Replyingtomyownquote

yup, same exact issue.

Mr. Widget
11-17-2016, 11:36 PM
Replyingtomyownquote

yup, same exact issue.No problem with Safari.

Widget

audiomagnate
11-18-2016, 07:10 AM
No problem with Safari.

Widget

Sothe"fix"istobuyaMac?

BMWCCA
11-18-2016, 08:35 PM
Sothe"fix"istobuyaMac?

It seems to be working fine on my Mac running Chrome . . . at least tonight!

NWCgrad
11-19-2016, 05:50 AM
Using my Samsung phone with Chrome I often find I can't type anything but the occasional symbol or punctuation mark when quoting on some of the other sites where I am much more active. It is very annoying. I hope vbulletin figures this out quickly.

hjames
11-19-2016, 08:19 AM
Sothe"fix"istobuyaMac?
Sounds like the fix is you don't use Chrome, huh?

Using my Samsung phone with Chrome I often find I can't type anything but the occasional symbol or punctuation mark when quoting on some of the other sites where I am much more active. It is very annoying. I hope vbulletin figures this out quickly.

The fix may be to leave vbulletin behind -
like Audiokarma and TivoCommunity (and a number of other sites) have done ...
I don't think vbulletin has done much in the way of updates themselves ...
from what some other site admins have said ...

BMWCCA
11-20-2016, 07:50 AM

It was screwing up again on my first reply today, after inserting a carriage return between the quoted post and my reply. Deleting back to the quoted block allowed me to use the space-bar and I haven't been able to make it not work properly since then. :dont-know:

Earl K
11-23-2016, 07:06 AM
It was screwing up again on my first reply today, after inserting a carriage return between the quoted post and my reply. Deleting back to the quoted block allowed me to use the space-bar and I haven't been able to make it not work properly since then. :dont-know:

Hmmm, I (exclusively) use Chrome on a Dell laptop running 8.1.

Preview looks good ( formatting wise ).

I'm wondering when ( & where in the reply process) is this problem supposed to manifest itself.
- ( ie; after the Editor does it thing, Closes & actually Posts the Reply ?? )

Guess I'll find out soon enough.

:)

Earl K
11-23-2016, 07:09 AM
Hmmm, I (exclusively) use Chrome on a Dell laptop running 8.1.

Preview looks good ( formatting wise ).

I'm wondering when ( & where in the reply process) is this problem supposed to manifest itself.
- ( ie; after the Editor does it thing, Closes & actually Posts the Reply ?? )

Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Nope, that's not it.

My guess is your NSA is simply data-filtering ( with Googles help ) & not quite clever enough to replace the intercept ( as originally discovered ).

JeffW
11-23-2016, 08:43 AM
It seems to be a recent issue. I haven't changed anything on my end since when I was able to reply with spaces.

toddalin
11-23-2016, 12:12 PM
Mine was oing this the other day, but stopped.

My problem is that I've been trying to post a new thread for the last two days and it won't take it. It keeps "timing out."

I don't even know if this will come up.

Edit:

Well what do you know..., it did come up. I may have to try that new thread again.

JeffW
11-23-2016, 03:16 PM
Mine was oing this the other day, but stopped.

My problem is that I've been trying to post a new thread for the last two days and it won't take it. It keeps "timing out."

I don't even know if this will come up.

Edit:

Well what do you know..., it did come up. I may have to try that new thread again.

I'm typing this with spaces now, seems to have rectified itself. Same computer/browser that wouldn't do spaces earlier.

Ed Zeppeli
11-23-2016, 03:25 PM
That's what I was saying. Intermittent. In fact, it only happened to me on one occasion.

JeffW
11-23-2016, 04:51 PM
That's what I was saying. Intermittent. In fact, it only happened to me on one occasion.

Let's try it on Android Chrome. Spaces!

Ed Zeppeli
11-23-2016, 05:25 PM
Let's try it on Android Chrome. Spaces!

Dito here!

BMWCCA
11-23-2016, 05:48 PM
Dito here!

Apple Chrome is working tonight too . . . and then other times it doesn't! :dont-know:

brutal
11-23-2016, 11:47 PM
Apple Chrome is working tonight too . . . and then other times it doesn't! :dont-know:

I'm

still experiencing this issue. I also noticed it does it replying to a private message on the other vb forum I frequent.

toddalin
11-26-2016, 12:08 PM
I've been trying to put a new post on for days and it always "times out."

Then things get really weird! I can't even get back into the forum via Chrome or IE. Then if I try again, I can't even get into the site. It's as if it makes the site go down.

I can later access it again, but it is usually after I turn off my system several hours later. Weird!

brutal
01-03-2017, 08:47 PM
The other VB4 forum admin has resolved the issue there.

"There is an incompatibility with new versions of Chrome and CKEditor whcih is used in VBulletin 4 (and possibly other board software). Even with the hundreds of dollars everyone gives VB all the time, they refuse to support vB4. Only vB5, which has drastic changes... so much so many board maintainers (like myself) don't want to switch to vB5. Its almost a facebook/twitter type feel instead of a traditional forum. I'm sure we can modify it to feel more inline with the current experience here, but thats a bunch of work...

I did my own tweaks to make it work for our theme and my personal preferences, but the gist of possible fixes is here: (https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...rking-on-reply (https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-4/vbulletin-4-questions-problems-and-troubleshooting/4356452-space-bar-not-working-on-reply))"

He has offered to provide more detail if needed, just PM me and I'll put the two teams in touch.

audiomagnate
01-04-2017, 05:40 AM
Responding to PMs is a real pain.

BMWCCA
01-04-2017, 06:29 PM
Responding to PMs is a real pain.I only have the problem if I hit a carriage return after the quoted post and then try to type. And then only on some days. As long as I begin my typing directly after the quoted post, I have no problems. The sentence below was typed after entering a return and then trying to type. This paragraph was started directly after the quoted text and had no problem.

WhatIfindreallystrangeisthatonsomedaysitworksfinea ndonotheritdoesnot!

mech986
01-04-2017, 11:27 PM
I ran into this issue with my last post, wouldn't give me spaces after the first word. I hit "preview post" and then was able to continue typing normally in the text box below the preview area. Wonder if it just is in the Reply to thread box with a quote? Note I am not using any quoted text in this reply and its working fine.