PDA

View Full Version : 2123 to leh10

bldozier
10-25-2016, 12:55 PM
Hello I'm wanting to build s105s for a bedroom surround.
I see 2123s are very inexpensive atm.
Would they work with the jbl le10h kit, in 70 ~ 86L boxes
250w power is high up. What would drive this in a rear channel stage well
Should I be looking for half this figure.

Earl K
10-25-2016, 01:37 PM
Hi Brian,

The le10h recone kit can be put into the 2123 magnetic system.

The power handling will ( follow & ) be tied to that of the cone kit ( so @ 60-75 watts rms ) .

You don't really need anymore than a 75-100 watt amplifier in any small room system ( ie in a bedroom of 11'x13' etc. ).

:)

bldozier
10-25-2016, 01:59 PM
Thanks your answers are pointing me in the right direction.
Another question if the vc is a catalyst for power would a increase or decrease in magnet size
Affect, distortion or sq in anyway. What the purposes of various magnet sizes.
To be clear the cone kit vc, cone spider and surround, interpret power handling? If I wanfed tighter bass response
Id need stiffness, or less fluctuation, an movment. For say 30hz vs 50hz

Earl K
10-25-2016, 03:21 PM
Thanks your answers are pointing me in the right direction.
Another question if the vc is a catalyst for power would a increase or decrease in magnet size
Affect, distortion or sq in anyway. What the purposes of various magnet sizes.
To be clear the cone kit vc, cone spider and surround, interpret power handling? If I wanfed tighter bass response
Id need stiffness, or less fluctuation, an movment. For say 30hz vs 50hz

Broadly speaking ( from memory ), the cone kit dictates power handling for something like 75% to 80% of the total power handling equation ( assuming the magnetic structures have identical venting topologies ( ie; a single back vent as found in JBL's SFG magnetic assemblies versus the newer SVG type cooling systems ) .

JBL info on SVG cooling (https://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/tn_v1n22.pdf)

Magnet types also matter ( somewhat ) for heat dissipation / because size matters / & a very large magnet ( like ferrite ) can soak up more of the ambient heat ( produced by the voice-coil ) versus the smaller ( more powerful ) magnet types ( such as alnico or neodymium ).

Magnet sizes are directly tied to the cone-kit design to achieve what the transducer designer wanted.
Increasing the magnet size ( without a corresponding change in the cone kit ) doesn't give a predicable increase in Sound Quality / in fact / probably just the opposite.

Heavy diaphragms driven by heavier/stronger motors ( as opposed to say, Altec ) have been JBL's calling card since the early 60's / but that simplistic equation can only be taken so far before SQ suffers ( example; just how HiFi would a heavy piece of cardboard sound even with a massive magnetic structure driving it ). That combo would be pretty indestructible / but musical sounding ?? / I really doubt it.

bldozier
10-25-2016, 05:04 PM
Not comparing cardboard to a full range le14c or le8 whizzer coned transducer, but with a smaller or narrower, magnet gap wouldn't a smaller magnet or less power produce better sq.
Could a single speaker use two magnets, 1 for power the other to regulate it the power as a pass through.
Just trying to understand you better.

Earl K
10-26-2016, 01:48 AM
Hi Brian,

Here's a link to a basic explanation of how a transducer works. (http://www.explainthatstuff.com/loudspeakers.html)

Your questions (above ) are more specific than the info in the above link ( and are mostly about balancing out all the different parameters that go into creating a particular type of transducer ). If I find an appropriate link to answer those questions / I'll post it.

Generally, keeping the cone/coil weight static but significantly increasing the gauss level within the gap ( done by increasing the magnet size & strength or narrowing the gap ) will mostly increase mid-range response ( balanced against the bass ).
- Increasing the gap height(depth) while maintaining the same gauss level within the gap, has a similar effect as above ( generally an increase in midrange output as well as an increase in overall SoundQuality ).