PDA

View Full Version : 476be - Everest DD66000

Brian DK
10-15-2016, 11:35 AM
Hi.

do any of you know if the 476be will work in direkt mode?

I am thinking of trying a QuickSilver horn mono AMP with a digital X-over (deqx-hdp5)
and conect the AMP Direct to the 476.
but I am afraid if the 476 is sensitive to the small "blop" some amps can give when power on.

or am I better of using a higher powered tube AMP, and use the internal X-over?

speakerdave
10-15-2016, 12:48 PM
Hi.

do any of you know if the 476be will work in direkt mode?

I am thinking of trying a QuickSilver horn mono AMP with a digital X-over (deqx-hdp5)
and conect the AMP Direct to the 476.
but I am afraid if the 476 is sensitive to the small "blop" some amps can give when power on.

or am I better of using a higher powered tube AMP, and use the internal X-over?

I use a compression driver that has a 4" Be diaphragm, and I would never connect it directly to an amplifier. I use a passive high pass and dial in the woofers with a UREI 525, so that is one option. You could do the same thing with a digital low pass. I have in the past used a different electronic crossover and a protection cap for the treble, so that's another option. You can learn about protection caps in the UREI 5235 manual. And besides using a big tube amp (or a sand amp whose HF you like) you could find out the specifics about biamping that speaker. I expect there is some response tailoring in the HF part of the stock network. I know GT has coached someone here about that, but I don't think it has been posted.

Earl K
10-15-2016, 02:33 PM
I'd recommend that you do like Dave suggests, ( Bi-amp using the horns builtin passive network driven by a good horn amp & then use only the lowpass output of your favourite electronic crossover into a sturdy LF amplifier ).

This will offer the most protection ( to those uber-expensive 476Be drivers ) as well as give a noticeable increase in system dynamics & clarity ).

If you ( still ) feel the need for better HF micro-detail ( after the previous step is implemented ) try rolling different amps in & out of the HF portion of your setup.

cheers <> Earl

BTW, this is an area that Widget is well versed in ( & I think he's already laid out his thoughts on the matter around this forum ).

jbljfan
10-15-2016, 02:34 PM
The horn mono/476Be is a very fine combination.
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?34253-Second-Annual-Lansing-Heritage-Awards&p=350155&highlight=#post350155

yggdrasil
10-18-2016, 12:28 AM
I have run 476Be with a series cap for protection. Cap was large enough to be outside crossover frequency.

Anyway - you do not need any high power amp for these drivers.

Brian DK
10-18-2016, 11:07 AM
I have run 476Be with a series cap for protection. Cap was large enough to be outside crossover frequency.

Anyway - you do not need any high power amp for these drivers.

I know the driver is very sensitiv.
the High power tube AMP is only if I use the build In X-over.

and by High power I Think around 120-150w
and my 700w Krell for the low end.

grumpy
10-18-2016, 02:20 PM
I've heard the Passlabs XA30.n amp driving this transducer, with passive crossover...
nothing was amiss. :)

yggdrasil
10-19-2016, 12:24 AM
I was using a Nelson Pass Zen 9 (F3) which is 15 watt. This amp was not the limiting part of the setup.

Brian DK
10-30-2016, 12:54 PM
I was using a Nelson Pass Zen 9 (F3) which is 15 watt. This amp was not the limiting part of the setup.

I'm gonna need A bit more.
15watt and the horns sensitivity at 96db
wil make a sound presure at 108db

And my Krell deliver 700w to the bottom.
that will make arround 124db.

the difference here will be to Big.

I am guesing the amp for the top must be
at least 100-150w.

Mr. Widget
10-30-2016, 01:33 PM
I'm gonna need A bit more.
15watt and the horns sensitivity at 96db
wil make a sound presure at 108db

And my Krell deliver 700w to the bottom.
that will make arround 124db.

the difference here will be to Big.

I am guesing the amp for the top must be
at least 100-150w.Only if you plan on listening at higher SPLs. In my DD66000 system I am not biamping and have 450w mono blocks... I almost never use more than 10watts per channel.

Widget