PDA

View Full Version : K2 S5500

S.O.Stefansson
12-07-2004, 01:30 AM
Forum members,

I'm looking at a pair of K2 S5500 for sale her locally (guy is moving, can't keep them). My impressions from a brief listening session (about 1 hr, music spanning from Deep Purple to Jussi Björling, Swedish opera singer) this week-end were positive, the speakers appear quite dynamic, with a great 'presence' and 'attack' (if you get my drift). I guess it's a good sign :hmm: that the S5500s clearly revealed the poor recording quality on one of my favourite tracks (Fairport Convention, 'Fotheringay', 1969). On modern high-tech recording (eg. 'Yello') the sound was as dynamic and present as anything I've heard :).

However, I was not too impressed with low-end extension, possibly due to the rest of the set-up. Seller had tested a different amp. (Cayin 252B) with better bass performance than his current Vincent mono-blocks :confused:.

If anybody has any experience with these speakers I would appreciate any input, including any suggestions on amplifiers to match their performance.

Best wishes,

Sigurd

S.O.Stefansson
12-10-2004, 02:40 AM
So I went ahead and got the pair of K2-S5500s. I'll be picking them up this week-end and hope to give them a try with the amp that I have (an old NAD). I will probably need to upgrade the rest of my system to match the characteristics of the speakers. I have a couple leads from the previous owner, as well as from the JBL distributor here in Norway.

I'll be posting some pictures when I have the speakers safely in house ;), and update on my experience with these speakers.

More soon,

Sigurd

Earl K
12-10-2004, 05:39 AM
Well, congratulations on your purchase! Sigurd . :thmbsup:

I would love to see as many pictures as you feel like posting . :bouncy:

In particular, I would love some closeups of those "bad-boy" woofers, outside of the enclosures. :rockon1:

Thanks in advance, for anything ( thoughts, pics, etc. ) that you'd like to share with us, Sigurd . :yes:

regards <. Earl K :wave: