PDA

View Full Version : JBL L5, How low does the impedance dip?

mortron
10-09-2016, 05:14 PM
I am looking at a tube amp, and was cautioned about using speakers that dip too low in impedance, and wonder if anyone has a curve or idea of how low the impedance of the L5 drops down during use. I could not find anything beyond the nominal 6 ohm impedance. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

audiomagnate
10-11-2016, 10:36 AM
I can't find an impedance curve but they don't have a reputation for being difficult to drive. I owned a pair for a while and they never shut down any of the amps I used. I doubt they go below 3 or 4 ohms so you should be fine.

gasfan
10-11-2016, 11:45 AM
I would agree. My L5s have never warmed up any of my amps enough to take note. They need a sub imo so there's no serious bottom end to point to.

rusty jefferson
10-11-2016, 05:35 PM
I am looking at a tube amp, and was cautioned about using speakers that dip too low in impedance,.......

It's going to depend on the amplifier you're looking at. If it's a SET 2A3 amp with 12-16 ohms of output impedance, it likely would have problems with the speaker impedance as well as power shortcomings. If on the other hand it's a parallel push pull KT-88 amp with 70 watts per channel, and 2, 4, and 8 ohm speaker taps, it'll probably be fine.

mortron
10-11-2016, 05:49 PM
Thanks, it's good to know that their load will not be an issue. Much appreciated.