PDA

View Full Version : Advice regarding Altec 411-8A speakers

BandGman
10-03-2016, 03:57 PM
I have two 15 inch Altec Speakers, see attached photo for identification purposes, that need replacement foam surrounds. I have been quoted $110 each for the work. I tried to find completed eBay sales but I couldn't find any exact matches so I'm not sure of their value. Do you think the investment will be worth it or should I maybe just try to sell them as-is. Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Ed Kreamer
10-03-2016, 05:32 PM
Greetings from the peace loving Peoples Democratic Republic of Washington State

Check Simply Speakers. They have a kit that will fit the 411, and you can call them. $110 each is that for someone do to it for you? It is not hard to to do and you can find instructionals on the Simply Speakers
site, or Parts express Try Rick Cobb also..The 411 was /is a pretty decent LF speaker with not much resale for some reason. What system are yours used in? 873? 878, 9846?

Beautiful state Utah, I get to visit it at least once a year

Hope this helps

Ed

BandGman
10-11-2016, 02:42 PM
Greetings from the peace loving Peoples Democratic Republic of Washington State

Check Simply Speakers. They have a kit that will fit the 411, and you can call them. $110 each is that for someone do to it for you? It is not hard to to do and you can find instructionals on the Simply Speakers
site, or Parts express Try Rick Cobb also..The 411 was /is a pretty decent LF speaker with not much resale for some reason. What system are yours used in? 873? 878, 9846?

Beautiful state Utah, I get to visit it at least once a year

Hope this helps

Ed

Thanks Ed, I tried doing this once before, with a bose speaker, and it wasn't a pretty sight. The $110 each is for someone to do it for me, with parts. These will be sold, they're not running in a "system" but came out of a working set of, maybe, 873's. They had the 15" horn and a crossover. The other parts have been sold off and the speakers are the last to go. Do you think I'd recover that cost and make a profit?

Yes, Utah is indeed beautiful. I retired here after 36 years working in Manhattan and living in NJ. You'l be please to know I'm only 20 minutes from Park City. :-)

Ed Kreamer
10-14-2016, 09:44 AM
20 minutes from Park City? So how long are the lift lines?