PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing

analogman
12-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Hello,
I am currently engaged in a refinish project. It is a very 1950s style cabinet that will be used for record storage. It will be a superb match for my Apollos and is very similar in style.
It is covered in a very nice and thick walnut veneer on all the flat surfaces, BUT the "bindings", legs, and door fronts are something else. I was going to stain the piece but have paused after seeing some pictures of some of Steve G's work.
I want to try and match as closely as possible that deep brown that has just a HINT of red, like the Apollos, but know the edge pieces will absorb the stain differently, (will be much darker). That is Ok as it will probably enhance the character lines. I am sorry to ramble, but I guess what I am asking is can you guys suggest a colour of stain that will give me the desired results, but won't mask the walnut too badly? I want a dark and darker finish (the solid wood parts) not dark walnut with the solids light.
The factory overcame this problem with the old "spray the sh!t out of it" which basically resulted in a box that was "painted" with stain. As I said before, the walnut is very nice and I want to preserve as much of it's beauty will having a reasonably consistant result with regards to the contrast of the other wood.
Also: I live in a condo, do my work on the balcony so ALL work is done by hand if that has any bearing on your suggestions. The only spraying I can do is with a can.
Thank you for your patience.
Analogman