PDA

View Full Version : Altec a7 500. Opened the cabinets and found jbl d130 8ohm.

Will32
09-19-2016, 12:18 AM
Someone gave me these speakers 10yrs ago. They been sitting in my attic. I decided to attempt to sell them. I've claimed they were original until I opened it up. 511b horns but inside are these d130 speakers. Does this degrade the value? The speakers look as old as the cabinets but sound fine.

gdmoore28
09-20-2016, 02:51 PM
This particular replacement seems to pop up quite often. In fact, it seems that a number of factory speakers were replaced, or originally home built, with D130s in place of the original or specified speaker. I don't know how to explain it other than the D130 may have been more plentiful - or less expensive - at that time than the original specified speakers. Others with more knowledge than I will undoubtedly correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as value goes, I would wager that a pair of A7s with D130s rather than 515s or 416s would likely go for a minimum of 25-35% LESS than those equipped with the specified speaker.

My guess. Hopefully, somebody with a keener insight into this will give you the REAL answer.

GeeDeeEmm