PDA

View Full Version : Fixing 4408 Woofer Discoloration

Patrick
09-16-2016, 01:42 AM
Aloha,

Newbie here who is in the process of restoring some 4408 speakers and I was wondering if there was a way to fix the cone discoloration I have. It looks like the sun caused it.

I initially replaced the surrounds just so I could listen to these speakers, but since the cabinets came out a lot better than I thought they would I decided to see if I could fix the discoloration too.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

gcarlberg
09-16-2016, 04:05 AM
I have had great results using SEM Color Coat #15243 Satin Black for touching up both Altec and JBL woofers. It is a flexible coating used for restoring color to automotive upholstery. I made 3 quick passes about 15 minutes apart. The color is rich and has held for about 8 years now. I did a test on a paper disk with the same application and the weight increase was 0.3 grams.

Earl K
09-16-2016, 04:21 AM
I have had great results using SEM Color Coat #15243 Satin Black for touching up both Altec and JBL woofers. It is a flexible coating used for restoring color to automotive upholstery. I made 3 quick passes about 15 minutes apart. The color is rich and has held for about 8 years now. I did a test on a paper disk with the same application and the weight increase was 0.3 grams.

That's good info, though ( one word of caution ) I would avoid getting any type of paint on the foam surrounds.

:)

gcarlberg
09-16-2016, 04:34 AM
That's good info, though ( one word of caution ) I would avoid getting any type of paint on the foam surrounds.

:)

Agreed, I always spent a considerable amount of time masking, tucking the tape just under the edge of the cone.

Thanks
george

Patrick
09-16-2016, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the quick replies Earl and George!

I’ll try and track down some of that paint at my local auto parts store, but now I wish I asked this question "before" installing the new surrounds!

I’ve got my garage speakers I can practice on and if anything I’ll be ready should I find another project to work on.

Thanks, Patrick