PDA

View Full Version : Watco Danish walnut and Wood fill?

oldsoundz
09-10-2016, 08:54 AM
I hope it's ok to ask this here.

I'm trying to restore some Barzilay cabinets and there are a few small area's missing veneer.

Has anyone here had good or bad results they can share?

DavidF
09-11-2016, 10:21 AM
I hope it's ok to ask this here.

I'm trying to restore some Barzilay cabinets and there are a few small area's missing veneer.

Has anyone here had good or bad results they can share?

You could try epoxy wood filler in a medium walnut color and work that into the void. Try to minimize the need for sanding on the surrounding area but some sanding will be necessary. You can use a very thin cutting blade to mark up the epoxy before it dries to give the appearance of continuity with the grain. I would get a small block of hardwood and try working with epoxy and matching colors. In the end you may have to cut out a larger section of the veneer and replace with piece cut to fit. There are videos on line showing that technique. I have done this before and it works well if you have a true surface. The blem in the photo looks rather small, though, and I am thinking a filler approach.

oldsoundz
09-11-2016, 04:05 PM
Thank you, David. I'll look into that approach. See if I can find a turorial on line. I'm not good at this but I'm trying. :)

It is a fairly small area and the largest of the blemishes.