PDA

View Full Version : 4408 grill peg repair

Mrv8q
09-05-2016, 02:20 PM
Hello, LHers, my first post here; thanks for having me.

I'm attempting to repair a 4408 grill with 2 broken pegs. I have the pegs and am wondering about recommendations for a preferred plastic cement. I haven't had much luck in the past with the small cryo plastic glues; any success stories?

Thanks in advance...

SEAWOLF97
09-05-2016, 07:03 PM
when I got my 4410's, they also had some broken pegs. Half of each peg was still in the hole/grommet.

I tried superglue. Just not enough surface to bond.

so I figured that it needed re-bar for strength. Found a stout paper clip,
measured diameter, found correct drill bit ( 1/32nd ?) and drilled from the
top of the broken end the entire length. Then placed it in position with the
grille broken stub and drilled again through the first drilled piece into the second.

Now super glued them together and inserted the straightened paper clip through
both pieces. After it dried, clipped off the extra paper clip sticking out the end of
the peg. Now stronger than OEM.

I maybe made it sound harder than it was.

Mrv8q
09-05-2016, 08:28 PM
No, I Like that idea, definitely something to consider. There is a fair amount of stress put on the pegs in normal use.

An Amazon search led to Loctite super glue; I might use this with the above mentioned paper clip structural support...

Johnny_Law
09-14-2016, 12:04 PM
No, I Like that idea, definitely something to consider. There is a fair amount of stress put on the pegs in normal use.

An Amazon search led to Loctite super glue; I might use this with the above mentioned paper clip structural support...

I tried to do this with a 2-part epoxy, for my 4412 grilles, it failed poorly. I like the re-bar idea. I was contemplating switching it over to a magnet system but not sure there are any conical magnets for self-centering.

Patrick
09-16-2016, 06:50 PM
I also used the paperclip method to repair my 4408 grille pegs with a slight twist.

All the paperclips I tried were a little loose. Since I had some extra drill bits, I used one of them to drill the holes and then cut it as previously mentioned. Using the drill bit as the rebar was a perfect fit since it made the hole.

Patrick

Mrv8q
09-27-2016, 10:30 PM
Well, This past weekend I tried the Loctite on the grill pegs without the paperclip insert. It has Professional on the label, so it has to work, right? The backing of the 4408 grill has a 45 degree angle behind it, and I couldn't fab up a jig with C clamps and material on hand to work correctly. So, going to let the pegs sit unstressed for a couple of days before really trying them out.

A quick sand to the veneer and some Watco oil results in a very pretty speaker! Thanks for the advice...