PDA

View Full Version : Cone design question

bldozier
09-04-2016, 09:53 AM
For the 4315, id like to use a smooth cone, in a franken 2108. The 2108 did use a ribbed cone,
The availability of the cone is grey, & I wanted to use the white le8t cone widened for the
7.6cm vc.
Could anyone explain pros and cons of this. Would an aluminum dust help mid range frequency, on the 2108.

For what I've read the ribbed cone providers a clean higher frequency response. So why is it used on a 2235h for instance?

I'like the sound of the 2108 as is, my concoction is a le8t basket with a 7.6cm vc and hopefully a 2108 kit or as I have said a white widened le8t cone.

Tha ks

bldozier
09-04-2016, 09:56 AM
Here is a graph can some grant me an explanation to it.

bldozier
09-04-2016, 08:38 PM
In trying to quite possibly adhere to more listless q&a id consider it. But if your questions posted here went unanswered im sure youd look to make or turn over a profit via an different fourm. So in short im not going to play devils advocate and entertain your question for the sake of you asking it again. But im sure being an old collector you can read an acknowledge parts of information pertaining to whatever your trying to understand. I myself like to think I can do the same all the while disconcerting the general lack of information at times an just smile. Whats your coping skill sd. Love to hear it. You want to get a closer look at mine. You have a telescope?

bldozier
09-04-2016, 08:42 PM
Its like the boogie man jumped up an asked me for a smoke...
Sd, whos on 2nd.

jlyons
09-04-2016, 11:23 PM
BlDozier, you often pose perplexing questions. Obviously you know the 8" LE8T (and most JBL 8s) use 2" voice coils and .85 T magnets, while the 2108 uses a 3" alnico motor. So you might plan to borrow from an LE10A because it shares the 1.02 Tesla 3" magnet assembly, but it has a different voice coil and fitting and spider. Your white aquaplas cone is 16 grams while the 2108 cone assembly is 20 grams. The "full range" LE8T uses the aluminum dust cap (for a bit of HF extension, like the musical instrument speakers), but the monitors do not. The 112A is a near equivalent to the 2108, and also rare, so I am curious you didn't look into that offer. The assembly you seem to envision would be complicated, and offer unpredictable results. The graph is missing assignment for the two curves, but one could at least say those two would require different networks. Speaker Dave said you are making a blog, and you said you would like to make a profit. Please tell us more.

bldozier
09-05-2016, 11:22 AM
Honestly the difference of 4 grams maybe could be made up in the aluminum dust cap.

Yes I have the le10 jbl speakers, the le8 baskets, to build a 2108.

I see a few after market kits for the 2108 did not have a ribbed design. Which leads me to believe either would be fine. Hey do you have any idea what the non ribbed 2108 paper cone weighed?

If a thread was posted for 2405 or a 2108 sale I must have missed it

The graph shows roll off from 4.5khz on the on the le8t. Is this a factor of power handling or cone mass?
Im just asking about the graph.