PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice on LE-10A and PR-10 build.

Loud & Clear
08-29-2016, 08:02 PM
Greeting Friends,

It has been awhile since I've built speakers and am having the itch to do so. I'm thinking this time using the LE-10A coupled to the PR-10. I've always used the larger JBL speakers 15" and 18". I have built horn loaded boxes, sealed, and everything in between. I have "never" been interested in passive radiators, but I think it is time to explore the possibility's. It is new to me and I like that. You only live once...

What I have in mind is 4 le-10a's coupled to 4 pr-10's per cabinet, with 2 cabinets being built. I will be separating each le/pr pair within the cabinets. I can't find any information on the LE-10a's frequency response or sound pressure level, I do have the thiel and smalls. I would like to see if I could get a usable response down to 30 cycles or there bouts'. I'm not certain on cabinet interior volume for this, or even it it can be accomplished. I am thinking around 2 -2.5 cu.ft. per section. Without ports, horns, or both I am not certain with passive radiators. It's all new to me and that is why I would like to see if I could pull it of.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated. Note: These cabinets will be crossed at 250 cycles. They will be L.F. enclosures. I'm hoping (with the all the total cone area) to create a pair of giant killers, or at least something that might keep up with my JBL 4350 low freq. sections.

Thanks, Tom :)

1audiohack
08-29-2016, 10:03 PM
Greeting Friends,...

Any comments or advice would be appreciated. Note: These cabinets will be crossed at 250 cycles. They will be L.F. enclosures. I'm hoping (with the all the total cone area) to create a pair of giant killers, or at least something that might keep up with my JBL 4350 low freq. sections.

Thanks, Tom :)

LE10's are cool but running against 4350's is a very tall order.

Barry.

Loud & Clear
08-30-2016, 10:21 AM
LE10's are cool but running against 4350's is a very tall order.

Barry.Thanks Barry,

I can understand that, but the suspense and enjoyment has me caught up in the moment. I've been at this stuff for 42 years and cannot shake off the thrills of all of this. if anything, it just gets worse with time. Guess that is why I am hanging out with the rest of my like minded friends on this forum...

~Tom ;)

Ed Kreamer
09-17-2016, 10:05 AM
Greetings Tom

The le10a requires a rather large box according to winSID beta about 3.8 ft3 tuned to about 30Hz. I'm sure that you can cut down the size using the PR10 over a ducted port but it would still be pretty good size. You'd have about 200 in2 in total area ( not counting the PR10's ) vs about 266in2 in two 15's. I built some speakers using the LE/PR 10a many years ago using a 2ft3 box. I got really good low bass by adding extra mass to the PR10's by the cut and try method and listening. I didn't have any means to measure my frankenboxes but it was fun and I liked the sound. As to accuracy.......?

I'm sure you could have pretty good results but they'd be big, probably 8ft3 at least.

Have fun

Ed

Mr. Widget
09-17-2016, 12:44 PM
Note: These cabinets will be crossed at 250 cycles. They will be L.F. enclosures. I'm hoping (with the all the total cone area) to create a pair of giant killers, or at least something that might keep up with my JBL 4350 low freq. sections.
Since the PR10s are only substituting for tuned ports, I am fairly certain you can not consider their cone area in your comparison, so you are comparing (4) active 10" woofers to (2) 15" woofers... both the LE10 and the 2235 have limited Xmax so there you are comparable, but I think you will need different woofers with far more Xmax if you are going to compete with a pair of 2235s.

Widget