PDA

View Full Version : Mold

bean_counter
08-23-2016, 08:10 PM
Well, my tent sale 3677S speakers finally bit the dust. A hidden plumbing leak, I thought I had them well covered but they got moldy

Saved the 2418h's and the homemade xovers but the cabs and M115 woofers are moldy

Any way to save the cones on the woofers? They likely aren't worth a recone

badman
08-24-2016, 08:54 AM
Let them air out in the sun for a short while, gently clean off any surface mold (be careful not to inhale any spores!), and then test the cone- tap it with a pen (the dull end) and move around the cone, listening if there's any difference in sound on the moldy areas vs. non-moldy. Feel them, see if you can tell any difference in the paper where they were exposed vs. not, if not, don't worry about it.

The M115 aren't TOTL by any stretch, so unless it's clearly just a cosmetic issue, I'd either find inexpensive replacements or use it as a chance for upgrade. You could treat them with PVA glue which tends to stabilize cone paper, "modge podge" is a recommended brand, but aleene's tacky glue works too, both add some cone damping, but it's generally a good thing. You thin it (3:1 usually works pretty well) with water and just gently, consistently brush it on, it should soak in like glue into MDF.

bean_counter
08-26-2016, 07:12 PM
Thanks, badman

These have always been "spare" speakers; I've used them when I had my system torn up, loaned them to friends wanting to try horns, etc. They got moved into a storage area when the kid came home from college (with all of her stuff). Unfortunate they got wet, I thought they were safe.

I was eventually going to harvest the compression drivers anyway, for an econowave project, and sell or give away the M115s. But with mold on them, I just wouldn't feel right foisting them on somebody else. Away they go.

badman
08-30-2016, 09:08 AM
Thanks, badman

These have always been "spare" speakers; I've used them when I had my system torn up, loaned them to friends wanting to try horns, etc. They got moved into a storage area when the kid came home from college (with all of her stuff). Unfortunate they got wet, I thought they were safe.

I was eventually going to harvest the compression drivers anyway, for an econowave project, and sell or give away the M115s. But with mold on them, I just wouldn't feel right foisting them on somebody else. Away they go.

Give them away- there are plenty of people who won't be bothered by mold. I sure don't need 'em but someone on a budget trying to do econowave or the like might.

Also, check out the peerless compression driver on the QSC clone horn-

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/1282366-impressive-new-compression-driver-from-peerless/page7

It's my current setup and boy howdy, it's a doozie!