PDA

View Full Version : Please help identify my vintage JBL speakers.

azvicky
08-23-2016, 05:51 PM
I found a pair of vintage JBL speakers in superb condition; floor model, boxed base with four feet, smoked glass top, and N2600 crossovers. Any help is greatly appreciated.73300

grumpy
08-23-2016, 05:57 PM
looks like a reasonably constructed DIY or 3rd party cabinet job w/ JBL parts... not a rare activity.

BMWCCA
08-23-2016, 07:04 PM
Welcome!

Looks like an LE14C with probably not the right crossover.

Hard to see since it's rear-mounted but perhaps the four mounting screws are a giveaway. If you can see inside, does it look like this?

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1969-home/page20.jpg

azvicky
08-23-2016, 07:34 PM
Yes, it is the LE14C with the LX2-1. I took off the back to check. I guess they were a DIY project. ]Welcome!

Looks like an LE14C with probably not the right crossover.

Hard to see since it's rear-mounted but perhaps the four mounting screws are a giveaway. If you can see inside, does it look like this?

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1969-home/page20.jpg[/QUOTE]

BMWCCA
08-24-2016, 05:31 AM
How did you happen to call it an N2600 network in the first post??

azvicky
08-24-2016, 06:44 AM
How did you happen to call it an N2600 network in the first post??
My husband thought that's what the crossovers might be from looking online. Once we took off the back, we found part numbers. I am curious what these speakers are worth and if we overpaid?

grumpy
08-24-2016, 06:57 AM
look up 'sold' listings for LE14C on eBay.

There are a lot of fishing expeditions that aren't selling ($$$).

There's a pair with crossovers that went for less than you might get (your pair looks in better shape).

Also, keep in mind that the yellowish surround was a fail by JBL
(at one point would have been replaced under warranty), ... they get
hard and don't sound their best, or eventually crack.

Mr. Widget
08-24-2016, 07:04 AM
They are not one of the more collected speakers so the value is likely not high... beauty being in the eye of the beholder and all that, they are worth what someone is willing to pay.

If you plan on keeping them you will need to replace the surrounds before you will get any bass out of them. The old yellowed surrounds get stiff which significantly reduces the bass response. You can do it yourself quite inexpensively or have it done if you're not handy.

If you decide to sell them, then you should have a professional replace the surrounds or leave them stock.

Widget

Mr. Widget
08-24-2016, 07:07 AM
I missed Grumpy's post... similar but enough additional info that I'll leave mine.

Widget

BMWCCA
08-24-2016, 06:14 PM
I am curious what these speakers are worth and if we overpaid?

I'm curious to know what you paid but suffice it to say that if you paid more than about $200, you may have overpaid if your intent was to resell. Some may think even that's a high figure. You're in a bit of uncharted water and many will have zero interest in your system. :dont-know: