PDA

View Full Version : L212 stands

bldozier
08-17-2016, 04:45 PM
Im going to make a pair, and have no idea how the stands were made, I've contacted a carpenter, but did not receive any message back.
Any help or ideas.

Ed Zeppeli
08-17-2016, 06:12 PM
Maybe you could copy the basic T dimensions and then get an inside round moulding to mimmick the radius curve seen in the picture. Veneer over it and done!

As far as the original construction, I have no idea.

Good luck,

Warren

rdgrimes
08-17-2016, 07:53 PM
FWIW it was a flawed design, as is evidenced by the number that broke over time. They are hollow, is all I can offer.

bldozier
08-18-2016, 12:48 PM
Ok a drum sander. I just dont quite have access to one.

speakerdave
08-18-2016, 06:12 PM
They were made of particle board and were a poor design structurally for that material. The 'toes' were very weak and easily broken off if the speaker is not set down square and very gently. Do you have towers? The base is the part that should be jettisoned first if updating an L212. Trying to replicate the form of any part of the L212 is a waste of time, in my opinion. There is no baffle step in the crossover, and that will be a better speaker with a narrow front and a bass module for each side. Better to build a base module with an LE14A for each side.

But, maybe you're not looking for advice, just an L212 stand. I have a broken one you can have for shipping cost, if I haven't talked you out of it. You can use it for a pattern. If you forget veneering and copy the form using carefully joined solid walnut or oak they could be quite nice.

rdgrimes
08-18-2016, 07:11 PM
An excellent example of form over function.
Kind of like the entire Aquarius line. :wtf: