PDA

View Full Version : How do I repair veneer ?

Chevelle
08-07-2016, 03:38 AM
Hello,

I have a bad mark on one corner of my 4435. Is there a good way I can repair it by myself ? I remember a thread about repairing such damage but I can not find it.

Thank you

Hjalmar

ARMED
08-07-2016, 10:12 AM
clean it and use wood filler..(try to match it) sand it and stain..

Joseph Smith Jr
08-07-2016, 10:26 AM
Hello,

I have a bad mark on one corner of my 4435. Is there a good way I can repair it by myself ? I remember a thread about repairing such damage but I can not find it.

Thank you

Hjalmar
Apply a drop of water to the wound, try and position the cabinet so the drop just sits right there in the wound (I realize that might be very difficult with such a heavy box)
So, you may have to use a bit of tape and a wet piece of cotton or similar
You don't want any water to get beyound that spot! But you do want that one little spot to get wet
Let the drop evaporate
One big drop, or however you have to rig it up, just and only enough to cover the boo boo
A drop is the best if you can manage somehow
Repeat, at least 3 or 4 times
Then see what you've got and report back
Depending on the results it may require some steam to finish pulling it out, or maybe not
May even save the grain
If everything is still there but just crushed you'll be in good shape to then just burnish the wound and touch up the color and re-oil

Joe

Chevelle
08-14-2016, 07:18 AM
Joe, I did what you said, put little drops of water to the particle board under the veneer. So the dent swelled to the original shape of the corner. Now when everything is dry I can fill with Elmers wood filler, sand and oil the surface.

Thank you Joe for this helpful tip !!!!

Hjalmar