PDA

View Full Version : 2216nd vs TD15m

gafh.henderson
07-31-2016, 02:52 AM
With a "DIY" build using the M2 waveguide, could an AES TD15M suitably stand in for the 2216nd if you were aiming for close to the original M2?

Has anyone got experience with both drivers? Could you rank them against each other or offer listening impressions?

Thanks for your help

dprice
07-31-2016, 06:53 AM
I suppose you could get pretty close with the the AE TD15M if you used a measuring mic/software and modified the LF filters (and HF?) to flatten out the response. I would not expect it to work as a drop in replacement. I say pretty close because I believe most of the M2 magic is in the waveguide, HF driver, and electronic crossover...not in the woofer.

I have the TD15M paired up with B&C DE250 and QSC waveguide. I also have a pair of M2 clones with the 2216Nd. I have not tried A-B listening tests though I have no doubt the M2 would win...though comparing electronic crossover M2 to the passive crossover AE/B&C combo isn't a fair fight at all.

Go with the 2216Nd if you can get them. I can make you a good deal on the AE/B&C/QSC speakers but I suspect shipping across the pond would be a killer.

Welcome to LHF!