PDA

View Full Version : Help For Best 2235 Recone Kit

azzd
07-14-2016, 05:34 AM
I am looking for four 2235Hs, but they are expensive; and most of them are used. As mentioned before, hard to tell whether abused. After searching forum (not absolutely clear though), I believe reconing E130 with 2235 kits may be a good way to go. According to Mr. Widget's thread (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?5396-Pair-of-2235s-for-250!&highlight=E130), E130 with 2235 recone kit go as deep as original 2235. While, I only need up to 250Hz from them.

There are sources of 2235 recone kits from SoundSpeaker (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Recone-Kit-for-JBL-2234-OR-2235-8-ohm-Pre-assembled-Kit-/350766523500) or SimplSpeaker (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Recone-Kit-for-JBL-2231H-2235H-15-Driver-SS-Audio-8-Ohm-Speaker-Repair-Parts-/141496973708?hash=item20f1e0798c:g:g~wAAOSwAL9UgiE P). Which one is better? Or is there the best one I didn't find?

Any suggest highly appreciated!

quindecima
07-14-2016, 06:56 AM
Instead of buying baskets and going thru the recone why not get these? a heck of a deal IMHO

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?38588-Walter-s-2235-s-500-plus-shipping

azzd
07-14-2016, 10:04 AM
Thanks for this information. Yes, it is a great deal. But only two. Finding another pair reconed exactly the same may be another challenge for me.

Instead of buying baskets and going thru the recone why not get these? a heck of a deal IMHO

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?38588-Walter-s-2235-s-500-plus-shipping

Ed Zeppeli
07-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Thanks for this information. Yes, it is a great deal. But only two. Finding another pair reconed exactly the same may be another challenge for me.

Finding two would be easier than finding four wouldn't it? Buy these and then buy the compatible (2205, 2225 etc) baskets and have them re-coned OEM and you'll have virtually the same four identical drivers.

ivica
07-14-2016, 12:18 PM
I am looking for four 2235Hs, but they are expensive; and most of them are used. As mentioned before, hard to tell whether abused. After searching forum (not absolutely clear though), I believe reconing E130 with 2235 kits may be a good way to go. According to Mr. Widget's thread (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?5396-Pair-of-2235s-for-250!&highlight=E130), E130 with 2235 recone kit go as deep as original 2235. While, I only need up to 250Hz from them.

There are sources of 2235 recone kits from SoundSpeaker (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Recone-Kit-for-JBL-2234-OR-2235-8-ohm-Pre-assembled-Kit-/350766523500) or SimplSpeaker (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Recone-Kit-for-JBL-2231H-2235H-15-Driver-SS-Audio-8-Ohm-Speaker-Repair-Parts-/141496973708?hash=item20f1e0798c:g:g~wAAOSwAL9UgiE P). Which one is better? Or is there the best one I didn't find?

Hi azzd,

If talking about JBL2235, as I know JBL recone kit is the only proper 2235 kit, may be some others has some different experience. I believe that its price would be over 250$ per kit, if can be get, plus work.
Using E140 or E130 'motor' would be possible, but as said, some mid-range frequencies would be pronounced.

Using AF kit, I think, would be risky.

regards
ivica

JeffW
07-14-2016, 12:53 PM
Or is there the best one I didn't find?

C8R2235 is what you want, but JBL doesn't sell them to the general public. The Speaker Exchange has them on their website http://reconingspeakers.com/product/jbl-2235h-c8r2235-recone-kit/ but if you read the fine print:

We are an authorized JBL service center. We repair with JBL parts when available. JBL does not allow direct sales of recone kits. These kits are available for repair.Call or email for repair pricing!The harsh reality is that restoring JBL stuff is generally expensive. You can use those $74 aftermarket kits, but then you don't really have JBL anymore. So it boils down to what you are doing with the drivers - bass reinforcement for a garage band? $74 kits should get it done. Restoring some monitors? Get the real thing. As you need 4, I'm guessing dual 15 sub cabs?

azzd
07-14-2016, 02:56 PM
Great thoughts! Thanks. I will think over again.

Finding two would be easier than finding four wouldn't it? Buy these and then buy the compatible (2205, 2225 etc) baskets and have them re-coned OEM and you'll have virtually the same four identical drivers.

azzd
07-14-2016, 03:02 PM
Ivica,

Thank you for letting me know the AF kit. The genuine ones are not cheap. I believe they worth the price.

Regards,

Azzd

Hi azzd,

If talking about JBL2235, as I know JBL recone kit is the only proper 2235 kit, may be some others has some different experience. I believe that its price would be over 250$ per kit, if can be get, plus work.
Using E140 or E130 'motor' would be possible, but as said, some mid-range frequencies would be pronounced.

Using AF kit, I think, would be risky.

regards
ivica

azzd
07-14-2016, 03:11 PM
Thank you, JeffW! The link is really helpful. Will call them.

It's actually not dual 15 sub cabs. I am planning to clone a pair of HR-1:blink: Too much for me. But, really want to try it. May be the final project for this hobby. Components are coming. Guess I have no way to turn back:banghead:

C8R2235 is what you want, but JBL doesn't sell them to the general public. The Speaker Exchange has them on their website http://reconingspeakers.com/product/jbl-2235h-c8r2235-recone-kit/ but if you read the fine print:

The harsh reality is that restoring JBL stuff is generally expensive. You can use those $74 aftermarket kits, but then you don't really have JBL anymore. So it boils down to what you are doing with the drivers - bass reinforcement for a garage band? $74 kits should get it done. Restoring some monitors? Get the real thing. As you need 4, I'm guessing dual 15 sub cabs?

JeffW
07-14-2016, 03:37 PM
Building something of that caliber calls for the real thing. I'd buy four 15 inch woofers off of Parts Express before I'd build those with aftermarket kits.

If you have baskets, Upland Lodspeaker comes highly recommended, and you could even post a 2235 wanted ad here. There's even a member who has been shedding a few fresh 2235 reconed drivers around here, but I'll leave it to him if he has any left to offer (or time to even mess with it).

Good luck, shop smart, don't settle for lesser.

azzd
07-14-2016, 06:12 PM
JeffW,

Do appreciate your advice! It comes at the perfect time to calm me down. At beginning, I realized it would take months. Then, even couldn't wait for next week... ... Still a lot on the list. Making the HF horns first.

Regards,

Azzd

Building something of that caliber calls for the real thing. I'd buy four 15 inch woofers off of Parts Express before I'd build those with aftermarket kits.

If you have baskets, Upland Lodspeaker comes highly recommended, and you could even post a 2235 wanted ad here. There's even a member who has been shedding a few fresh 2235 reconed drivers around here, but I'll leave it to him if he has any left to offer (or time to even mess with it).

Good luck, shop smart, don't settle for lesser.

Lee in Montreal
07-14-2016, 06:44 PM
Hey AZZD. You said you wanted four 2235s. What is your project? I know you are set on these drivers, but letting us know what the project is perhaps can allow us help you on driver choice... per example, if you told us you wanted 2235s for home theater, then we could advise you toward 2245s instead... Especially with a 250Hz cut-off ;-)

azzd
07-15-2016, 04:14 AM
Thank you! My project is a clone Westlake HR-1. I am not sure what components they are using currently. According to Ken's post, they used 2426j, 2446j, Gauss 3184, and two 2235h in the studio version. Not too difficult to collect though.

Hey AZZD. You said you wanted four 2235s. What is your project? I know you are set on these drivers, but letting us know what the project is perhaps can allow us help you on driver choice... per example, if you told us you wanted 2235s for home theater, then we could advise you toward 2245s instead... Especially with a 250Hz cut-off ;-)

Lee in Montreal
07-15-2016, 06:59 AM
Wow. That seems like an interesting project you are embarking. Then my advice is to only get drivers with JBL recones. Very often though, some cones will still be good when the foam suspension starts cracking. In this instance people will simply change the foam suspension, which is not sold by JBL and is automatically from the aftermarket. experts usually say that this suspension is identical as the JBL one.

Perhaps you can take an option on the two 2235 sold in the classifieds while you keep on searching for another pair coming from a reputable source. Or buy 2235 baskets and have them reconed. 2225 baskets are identical except for the rear foil call and easier to source.

I don't know how much recone kits sell these days. $250.00usd maybe. It is still cheap considering you get baskets for $25-$30.

Also, building the cabinet and sourcing drivers will be the easy part of the project. What are you doing for crossover? Did you fin original ones? Are you considering using a digital crossover instead?

azzd
07-16-2016, 10:47 AM
More than interesting:crying:. Still a long way to go. Good for killing time though. Pretty confident my carpenter skills will improve after it.

Thanks for the advice! Yes, I am going to JBL kit reconed drivers. Now I got a pair of 2425s (may need new diaphragms), a pair of 2450s, and a pair of Gauss 3184as. I found Westlake actually used 3184B after buying mine, but they are in good condition with almost same frequency responses. Big horns are on their way. Have to make small horns by myself. Couldn't find good 1" plywood locally yet. Still searching.

Will use dsp speaker management. Unable to get good price 4-way Westlake active crossover is one reason. I believe it is impossible for making the speakers good enough to fit well with the original active crossovers by myself. Dsp management should be more flexible and fault-tolerant for me.

Wow. That seems like an interesting project you are embarking. Then my advice is to only get drivers with JBL recones. Very often though, some cones will still be good when the foam suspension starts cracking. In this instance people will simply change the foam suspension, which is not sold by JBL and is automatically from the aftermarket. experts usually say that this suspension is identical as the JBL one.

Perhaps you can take an option on the two 2235 sold in the classifieds while you keep on searching for another pair coming from a reputable source. Or buy 2235 baskets and have them reconed. 2225 baskets are identical except for the rear foil call and easier to source.

I don't know how much recone kits sell these days. $250.00usd maybe. It is still cheap considering you get baskets for $25-$30.

Also, building the cabinet and sourcing drivers will be the easy part of the project. What are you doing for crossover? Did you fin original ones? Are you considering using a digital crossover instead?