PDA

View Full Version : Maxonic drivers

lfh
12-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Does anyone know anything about these monster field coil drivers

http://www.ucatv.ne.jp/~hal.sky/page031.html

or the products and company in general? (From the little I've found on the Net, Maxonic is a defunkt Japanese manufacturer.)

Earl K
12-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Steve Schell will be the one to ask .

You can also try a search over at the H.E. FORUM (http://www.AudioAsylum.com/forums/HUG/bbs.html) .

<. Earl K

Steve Schell
12-02-2004, 10:27 PM
Hi Earl!

The Maxonic brand was discussed on the Audio Asylum High Efficiency Speakers forum a year or so ago. A knowledgeable poster living in Japan explained that the company founder was killed in an accident a number of years ago, ending the company. Maxonic was one of a breed of small, dedicated firms in Japan that beat to their own drummer and produce compression drivers, often field coil, of superior quality for a discriminating though limited clientele of "ultra fi" enthusiasts worldwide. Other companies past and present fitting this description include Eltus, Onken, Goto Unit and ALE. One needs a hefty bank account to join the owners club, as the drivers can cost upwards of $60,000 per pair.

These companies generally produce components for multi-way front horn loaded systems, often including the unusual arrangement of large compression drivers on huge horns for bass duty. I scoffed at this approach until I heard some ALE bass horns and compression drivers last year and was stunned speechless by the utterly natural sound I heard. I have been experimenting with bass compression drivers since then, and have been encouraged by the results so far, although I have yet to replicate the ALE experience.

lfh
12-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Thanks for this interesting info! (Additional Japanese companies mentioned in threads at the HE forum in this context are YL Acoustic and Coral.)

From time to time I surf Japanese audiophile sites for inspiration, even though I don't understand a word. It's fascinating to think of the enormous efforts (technical as well as financial) that must have gone into many of the systems, reflecting the age and rarity of the components used. I'd love to hear a well tuned 1930:s style setup! Field coil drivers, multicell horns, triodes...good stuff! :)

BTW, I think the topic "Japanese Vintage High End" deserves a thread of its own. It would be neat to collect links to manufacturers, second hand shops, hobbyist sites etc. (I figure there already are threads touching this - I'll look around.)

Now I'll surf for more Maxonic pictures to post/link here. Who can resist WE594 derivatives on steroids? :D

lfh
12-09-2004, 04:30 PM
It seems that this brand was truly exotic - I haven't been able to find many pictures at all. Anyway, here are some of the better ones. (I hope it's OK to upload them here!)

lfh
12-09-2004, 04:34 PM
(This pic was linked to at the beginning of this thread, but I copy it just in case.)

lfh
12-09-2004, 04:36 PM

lfh
12-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Nope, it's not Altec.

lfh
05-27-2006, 06:22 PM

lfh
05-27-2006, 06:25 PM
OTL, 8 x 40KG6A

lfh
05-27-2006, 06:35 PM