PDA

View Full Version : JBL CF Series 120 & 150

mortron
07-04-2016, 12:11 PM
I haven't been able to find much on the CF series speakers from JBL. What is the consensus on them?

They don't appear to be anything super special, but wondered what kind of value they have nowadays should I ever encounter a pair. They seem very efficient, though the cabinets look a bit thin. Anyone with experiences to share would be greatly appreciated.

Joseph Smith Jr
07-04-2016, 05:08 PM
I haven't been able to find much on the CF series speakers from JBL. What is the consensus on them?

They don't appear to be anything super special, but wondered what kind of value they have nowadays should I ever encounter a pair. They seem very efficient, though the cabinets look a bit thin. Anyone with experiences to share would be greatly appreciated.
Friend had some bought cheap and flipped them
Woofers appeared to be of decent quality with cast frames
I also know the tweeters and mids were French with smallish magnets, the mids are a stamped steel frame type, sort of generic in appearance
The crossovers are a real network but a cost conscious build using electrolytics
From the looks of them they are at least of decent build quality
Wasn't impressed by the sound but didn't hear them for long either and with crap electronics and sitting right next to each other in his living room, so I can't offer a really fair assessment
People seem to like them and I can tell you they will play crazy loud
Early 2000s JBLs for the mass market:
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/jbl/cf120/prd_120960_1594crx.aspx
If I came across any for small money I would add some bracing to the cabs (that seems to be where they cut costs) and definitely give them a try