PDA

View Full Version : The Making of Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here

SEAWOLF97
07-04-2016, 10:48 AM
only had the time to view Wish You Were Here , but it's quite good.

for all the times I've spent with this album, I'd never realized that it's NOT
any PF member doing the lead on "Have a Cigar" . Thot it was Roger .. :blink:

http://www.openculture.com/2014/01/making-of-pink-floyds-dark-side-of-the-moon-and-wish-you-were-here.html

Musically, it’s a tremendously accomplished piece of work, lush and expansive but curiously restrained. The centerpiece, “Have a Cigar”— surely a precursor of bitter showbiz rant disguised as double concept album, The Wall—is in fact sung by a ringer, Roy Harper. (The only other time the band featured a guest vocalist was on the soaring, wordless “Great Gig in the Sky” from the previous album, Dark Side of the Moon.) Though the collaboration was a fluke—Harper simply happened to be recording in the next studio over—his presence seems essential in hindsight. The band were big fans of Harper’s, an eccentric folk singer who has released 22 albums to date. It’s easy to see why. He’s like a psychedelic British Neil Young, an artist whom, I would argue, sometimes has a lot in common with Pink Floyd, such as a willingness to release albums almost fully composed of extended jams.

quindecima
07-09-2016, 05:38 PM
I love those guys!

grumpy
07-09-2016, 07:20 PM
BTW, Which one's Pink? :p