PDA

View Full Version : Please help ID my speakers/tweeters!

SoundAbe
07-03-2016, 09:00 AM
Happy 4th of July everybody! :)

I have a question about a pair of non-ported two-way monitor speakers.

I have recently bought a pair of beautiful Model V-8 speakers S/N 4995 and 4964 (this is what the labels on their backs say) with damaged high-frequency transducers I would like to restore.

The size is 21x11x10 (HxWxD, in), 1” Soft dome tweeters, 8” woofers.

There were no grills and nothing that said "JBL" but I hope that’s what they are (I heard people have seen unlabeled JBL units and am wondering if that story is true…). The cabinets are quite heavy and finished with Dark Walnut veneer. The sound is very smooth, velvety, and captivating even without HF!

To my disappointment, I was unable to find any information about this model in any of JBL catalogues. The original owner, an elderly gentleman, told me he bought them in the year of 1973 (approximately) brand new and they are JBL. :confused:

Both tweeters I need replaced have identical printed markings: “7402-1920” with six digits right underneath – “575431”. I was unable to find any other markings on the tweeters.

Could you please help me to identify their model? I have been craving for a long time to have the beautiful JBL sound in my listening room!

Any help on this would be hugely appreciated! :)

BMWCCA
07-03-2016, 09:30 AM
What makes you think they could be JBL?
Why do you call them "monitors"?
They never had grilles, or you just didn't get them with the speakers?

Not a lot of JBLs with 8-inch woofers that aren't ported. Offhand, I can't think of one.

The only JBL of that era even with an 8-inch would be the Aquarius IV. That would get you a "V" but they're 40-inches tall.

How about posting a photo. That would certainly help! :banghead:

rdgrimes
07-03-2016, 01:02 PM
A number from the back of the woofer might help, but I also doubt they are JBL if they are not ported.

SoundAbe
07-03-2016, 02:14 PM
Thank you very kindly dear experts! :)

The only reason I believed they could be JBL was the word of the original owner…
I call them "monitors" because of their size, and am certainly not sure this is the appropriate term.
They originally had grilles, but they were damaged sometime in the nineties and the original owner decided to throw them away.

While inspecting the tweeters, I discovered craftsmanship of very questionable quality and no longer believe my speakers are of JBL “pedigree”… They are just “lemons” and yours truly was way too naďve to believe they were anything but… :o:

Thank you again and happy holidays! :)

BMWCCA
07-03-2016, 05:06 PM
:useless:

rdgrimes
07-03-2016, 08:14 PM
The 70's saw a plethora of J** speaker brands that were meant to mimic JBL and confuse consumers. Sold on every corner in "TV/Radio/Stereo" shops.

mech986
07-06-2016, 09:21 AM
Although your speakers may not be JBL's, hope you stay and keep looking. We have many members throughout the world and Canada too.

So if you're looking for some potential JBL speakers, we may still be able to help, or at least help steer you in the right directions.

FitWorkingAgain
09-18-2021, 06:53 PM
These are Cerwin Vega / HED V-8 speakers. I know this because I just scored a pair of boxes with no woofers, and I'm trying to deduce if there were 4 or 8 ohm speakers in there. My boxes are those dimensions, They are labelled V-8. The tweeters have the same first 8 digits, 7402-1920. They are 8 ohm tweeters, and putting the values of the capacitor into Crossover calculators tells me the Crossover is something like 3000. They "Look" like they are gonna be a JBL 2412 replacement diaphragm to fix your prob. If you still have these speakers, tell me - are the woofers 8 ohm or 4 ohm? The sticker on the jack inputs says "4-8 ohm" which ain't much help. I'm guessing 8 ohm...

Thanks!

Happy 4th of July everybody! :)

I have a question about a pair of non-ported two-way monitor speakers.

I have recently bought a pair of beautiful Model V-8 speakers S/N 4995 and 4964 (this is what the labels on their backs say) with damaged high-frequency transducers I would like to restore.

The size is 21x11x10 (HxWxD, in), 1” Soft dome tweeters, 8” woofers.

There were no grills and nothing that said "JBL" but I hope that’s what they are (I heard people have seen unlabeled JBL units and am wondering if that story is true…). The cabinets are quite heavy and finished with Dark Walnut veneer. The sound is very smooth, velvety, and captivating even without HF!

To my disappointment, I was unable to find any information about this model in any of JBL catalogues. The original owner, an elderly gentleman, told me he bought them in the year of 1973 (approximately) brand new and they are JBL. :confused:

Both tweeters I need replaced have identical printed markings: “7402-1920” with six digits right underneath – “575431”. I was unable to find any other markings on the tweeters.

Could you please help me to identify their model? I have been craving for a long time to have the beautiful JBL sound in my listening room!

Any help on this would be hugely appreciated! :)