PDA

View Full Version : JBL LE12c tweeter?

L-Bone
06-27-2016, 06:20 PM
Hi everyone, I stumbled onto a set of JBL LE12C's last week from a local seller and one of the tweeters are blown out unfortunately.
I bought them from the original owner and they are in perfect condition visually, he promised the last time he had them hooked up they worked. :( I haven't had any luck finding a tweeter rebuild kit and was wondering if anyone would know what kit would go into it?

I'm sure I will have to go aftermarket. also were these only available as a stand alone driver and not in an enclosure with jbl? I cant seem to find factory cab pics to identify these cabs that I truly doubt are JBL yet are much finer then average home built's from that era.
thanks!

Joseph Smith Jr
06-27-2016, 08:57 PM
Hi everyone, I stumbled onto a set of JBL LE12C's last week from a local seller and one of the tweeters are blown out unfortunately.
I bought them from the original owner and they are in perfect condition visually, he promised the last time he had them hooked up they worked. :( I haven't had any luck finding a tweeter rebuild kit and was wondering if anyone would know what kit would go into it?

I'm sure I will have to go aftermarket. also were these only available as a stand alone driver and not in an enclosure with jbl? I cant seem to find factory cab pics to identify these cabs that I truly doubt are JBL yet are much finer then average home built's from that era.
thanks!
Hi
The high frequency section of that driver is essentially an LE20
There are aftermarket kits available for the standalone interpretation and of course the occasional NOS find, but how those translate to your coaxial I have no clue
I would suggest you seek the advice of a well documented professional
Are you certain the HF section is dead?
Take a careful look at the networks and wiring connections
As for a factory built cab that would be limited to certain "C" models and plans as far as I know
Browse the library starting late '60s forward, you'll find the suggested box
Joe

L-Bone
06-28-2016, 07:09 PM
HiThe high frequency section of that driver is essentially an LE20There are aftermarket kits available for the standalone interpretation and of course the occasional NOS find, but how those translate to your coaxial I have no clueI would suggest you seek the advice of a well documented professionalAre you certain the HF section is dead?Take a careful look at the networks and wiring connectionsAs for a factory built cab that would be limited to certain "C" models and plans as far as I knowBrowse the library starting late '60s forward, you'll find the suggested box JoeThanks for the input, Yes I unsoldered 1 tinsel lead from the crossover and the tweeter shows open with my ohmmeter. It really is unfortunate because the tweeter still has the silver wax seals in it It makes me sad that I have to open it up. Maybe will have to order a LE20 kit with fingers crossed!