PDA

View Full Version : Is this shifted too far?

oldsoundz
06-22-2016, 07:31 PM
I have this 2214h that I was about to recone when I noticed the vent hole is off a bit. Being green at this I assumed it was shifted and needed repaired or scrapped.

Yesterday I had a friend over who has done many recones and foams who looked at it and said the vc gap looks fine. Sure enough the old vc moves freely. Hoping for some opinions/reassurance. Am I good to proceed with the recone?

mech986
06-22-2016, 08:55 PM
The only way you're going to know is to take the old cone/voice coil/spider assembly out, clean the gap, and then measure the gap for consistent gap size around its circumference, preferably using a gap gauge, but likely ok with a brass rod of known diameter around the correct gap size. That measurement probably is in the tech manual of the L100T, T3, or 4425. The key would be that the gap is at least the correct width and even.

Any indication that the pole piece has shifted? I can't quite tell what to look for in the photo.

oldsoundz
06-23-2016, 11:04 AM
Thank you, Mech

It doesn't look to me as if the pole piece has shifted but rather the magnet just a bit. Here are a couple more pics. I will have to see about the gap size and try to verify. I don't have a gap tool but I think I can manage it.

mech986
06-24-2016, 12:24 AM
Ahh, I see it a bit better. did the drivers or speaker take a fall or hit? Is there any obvious movement on the outside circumference of backplate and magnet?

Amnes
06-24-2016, 01:29 AM
How about trying to leverage it back into place with a wooden rod?

oldsoundz
06-25-2016, 06:28 AM
Yes Mech, I was told they were pulled from a dumpster, so I expect they took a licking. Not sure about movement of back plate. All I can really tell is that the magnet has shifted a bit.

Amnes, I'm not sure of that would work. But I think I'll look into this approach. Likely can't hurt. Thanks for your input.