PDA

View Full Version : inverse Bang for the Buck

honkytonkwillie
06-21-2016, 03:11 AM
Most people have a sense of time and money and how much of each is too much to spend in pursuit of a deal. But when I'm on vacation, different math applies - a case of "I can't get this at home."

A couple years ago on a routine visit to The Bay area, I drove 5 hours round-trip to Chico for a $50 pair of speakers. Totally worth it to me.

On this summer's visit, today I drove 5 hours round-trip (including 3 missed freeway exits and two bridge tolls) to San Jose to score a $35 pair of grilles for my L65's. One of them has a cracked frame but the other is totally intact! And the upholstery upgrade is tops!

Mods: Please shove this to a more appropriate forum. I was hasty in my selection.

speakerdave
06-21-2016, 08:49 AM
Completely understandable. For one thing, who needs much of an excuse for a road trip, even a short round-trip one-dayer?

For another, looking at every purchase as a potential flip takes the joy out of messing with classic hi fi. That says, 'I'm not going to do this if I can't make money at it.' What is that!? Hi fi is about music and music is about beauty and beauty is a goddess, so a hi fi is a temple to the goddess and it is a principal of building such things that you pay the asking price during the process to avoid lading the temple with the stink of resentment. Once you know this secret you understand why flippers can't hear for shit. The goddess doesn't care much for half-devotion. She also doesn't care much for fools, so paying through the nose is no good. Pay the ask within true value.

Once I heard a true hi fi speaker, though I was aghast that the price was several times what I would have previously thought reasonable for me, I knew I was going to have to do that or forget the whole thing and go Bose.

It's a choice you make.

As I see it, you are liberating yourself to enjoy. It's not really 'inverse' at all.

ARMED
06-21-2016, 09:47 PM
nice, i actually saw that grill from CL SFbay area...nice...mine is still nice and clean, if not, i wouldve picked it up myself..

Joseph Smith Jr
06-22-2016, 07:06 AM
On this summer's visit, today I drove 5 hours round-trip (including 3 missed freeway exits and two bridge tolls) to San Jose to score a $35 pair of grilles for my L65's. One of them has a cracked frame but the other is totally intact! And the upholstery upgrade is tops!

Do those have the plastic material or the metal stretchers?
Do you by any chance know if those are the same dimensions as the ones used on the L55?
I often wonder if all the missing grilles are in closets soemwhere or if they just found their way into the trash years ago? Not counting those lost to the attrition of partying during the '70s
Glad you found them
Joe

honkytonkwillie
06-25-2016, 02:12 PM
Do those have the plastic material or the metal stretchers?
Do you by any chance know if those are the same dimensions as the ones used on the L55?

Joe

They're the metal version. I -think- the L55 frames fit. A year or so ago I bought on eBay what was advertised as L55 grills. I thought they were mis-identified L65 grills, and while the photos weren't that good, they seemed to show the raised contour of the fabric on the riser rail thing. But they were flat. Cheap enough mistake, but I never actually fit them onto my speakers.

I'll be home in a week and I can see if they fit.

Joseph Smith Jr
06-26-2016, 07:34 PM
They're the metal version. I -think- the L55 frames fit. A year or so ago I bought on eBay what was advertised as L55 grills. I thought they were mis-identified L65 grills, and while the photos weren't that good, they seemed to show the raised contour of the fabric on the riser rail thing. But they were flat. Cheap enough mistake, but I never actually fit them onto my speakers.

I'll be home in a week and I can see if they fit.
L55 grilles have that raised geometric form as well
That's why I was asking
If those grilles you bought were flat, then they weren't for an L55 either
Those are fun to restore, especially if they have the metal stretcher
I'm going to start buying up every old cab I find if it still has it's grilles

Glad you found the right ones
Joe