PDA

View Full Version : Decade L26

PSS AUDIO
06-26-2003, 09:40 AM
Good afternoon,

Where can I found technical specifications and pictures of the decade L26 speaker?

4313B
06-26-2003, 10:02 AM
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1973-l26.htm

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/catalogs/1975-home.htm

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/catalogs/1976-home.htm

Mr. Widget
06-26-2003, 10:06 AM
Take a look in the Lansing Heritage Library

Here is one of several spec sheets that can be found there about the Decade series.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1974-decade.htm

Mr. Widget
06-26-2003, 10:07 AM
Ok Giskard, you beat me, but I thought I would encourage his prowling around a bit.

PSS AUDIO
06-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Giskard
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1973-l26.htm

Dear Giskard

Thank you for those links.

May I criticize the way the site is managed as I did not found them and even by a search!

Is it possible to enhance the search engine?

Once again thank you for your help!

4313B
06-26-2003, 10:35 AM
"May I criticize the way the site is managed as I did not found them and even by a search!"

You won't be the first if you do. ;)

"Is it possible to enhance the search engine?"

I think the search feature works only for the forum.

I've often resorted to these:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/site-map/site-map.htm

http://www.lansingheritage.org/sitemap.htm

Don C
06-26-2003, 10:40 AM
Much of the useful information on this site is contained in the scanned images, unfortunately, there is no search engine that can determine the content of those pages. I have also found that if you do not use Microsft Internet Explorer, then the button for the library section may not be visible on the main page. I guess that it's because the site was designed with Microsoft Front page. So I try to use the browser that this site was designed for, even though I normally use Netscape. Since all of this great content is free, it seems a bit petty to complain about how it is presented.

4313B
06-26-2003, 10:46 AM
"Since all of this great content is free, it seems a bit petty to complain about how it is presented."

Excellent point :)

PSS AUDIO
06-26-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Don C
...it seems a bit petty to complain about how it is presented.

I never intended to fire this site and the great job done about ALTEC and real JBL (what is sold today with the label JBL do not match what was done at the beginning).

My “critic” is just to enhance this site!

4313B
06-26-2003, 08:07 PM
"what is sold today with the label JBL do not match what was done at the beginning"

I've heard this one before, mostly from those who've blown out their eardrums listening to D130/075 systems...

http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?365

http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?365:7

Personally, I would stack the K2-S9800, 4348, Performance Series, or LSR32 up against any older JBL you'd care to bring to the brawl. :)

"My “critic” is just to enhance this site!"

Understood :)

GordonW
06-26-2003, 11:15 PM

Personally, I would stack the K2-S9800, 4348, Performance Series, or LSR32 up against any older JBL you'd care to bring to the brawl. :)

Yeah, but that's gear that 90 percent of everybody can't afford, and will probably never hear.

Tell me this: What JBL consumer speaker, selling for comparable money these days, will actually sound BETTER than a Lancer 77 or L26 Decade, especially in a dynamic range standpoint? Or an L166, or especially, an L100T or L150a?

The point is, I readily agree that JBL Pro is still da bomb. I just wonder if they're not becoming "just another me-too" speaker in the consumer market...

Regards,
Gordon.

4313B
06-27-2003, 04:43 AM
What person would actually buy a Lancer 77 or L166 today at the price it would take to manufacture a Lancer 77 or L166?

2 people? 3 maybe? The market is targeted at Walmart shoppers and correctly so. The market for loudspeaker systems such as you list is infinitesimal to non-existent.

Today, an LSR32 lists for the rediculously low price of $1179. Compare that to an L150A-B which went off the market exactly 20 years ago at $750. Sonically the LSR32 eats the L150A-B alive and doesn't even leave the bones.

PSS AUDIO
06-27-2003, 05:33 AM
Sonically the LSR32 eats the L150A-B alive and doesn't even leave the bones.

In your opinion, what will eat, with the bones, either a 4333, or a 4343, or a 4350/55?

4313B
06-27-2003, 06:33 AM
Well, I suppose some would say the newest 4348 would eat the 4333 or 4343/4344, but I'm not real sure the bones would be gone too ;)

If I still had my 4343B's I'd just bias a pair of 3145 networks, install them, and call it a day :)

As for the 4355... it's mighty ferocious, I doubt anything will be eating it any time soon.

Isn't it hilarious how even an L26 thread degenerates into yet another thread about big JBL Studio Monsters? :p

PSS AUDIO
06-27-2003, 08:07 AM

Isn't it hilarious how even an L26 thread degenerates into yet another thread about big JBL Studio Monsters? :p

It's better than a 4350/55 thread degenerating into another thread about small JBL home speakers!

If my solicitor new it, he would be ill.

I asked about the L26 as I must provide him a good quality sound system based on a small JBL speaker (his wife says that a 4333 is far too big) and one of my amplifiers...

4313B
06-27-2003, 08:50 AM
"It's better than a 4350/55 thread degenerating into another thread about small JBL home speakers!"

LOL :p

"his wife says that a 4333 is far too big"

My suspicion is that many wives would gladly turn any thread about a 4350/55 into a 4301 or 4401 thread :p

Case in point, I recently finished a biased (charge coupled) pair of 4406 loudspeakers and made the mistake of raving about how great they were. Mistake number two was setting them on top of the 4430's. Mistake number three was having several friends over to have a listen and having them rave about how great they sounded too. My wife said "Oh thank heavens! Now the 4430's can go to the basement since these 4406's sound so wonderful!"

D'oh! :(

Robh3606
06-27-2003, 09:15 AM
Hey Rob

Amazing how good those little 6 inchers can sound! Thats a good idea using a CC there. So it sounds like you are using that technique across the board now?? Those were your rears??

"Now the 4430's can go to the basement since these 4406's sound so wonderful!"

OOPPPS :D LOL

Have to watch that! I have done the same thing more than once.

Can be real tuff to get out of that one!

Rob :)

4313B
06-27-2003, 09:29 AM
Hi Rob,

No, I still have a stock pair of 4406's as rears but those are going CC soon too. I'm going to build a fifth 4406 for center channel now that the 4430's are going into the basement. :( I'll be running dual LE14H-1 subs for this little system.

Robh3606
06-27-2003, 10:24 AM
"I'm going to build a fifth 4406 for center channel now that the 4430's are going into the basement."

OUCH!

Well you got company cause that's where my main rig is. I am permanately banished from the livingroom.:(

"I'll be running dual LE14H-1 subs for this little system."

Your gonna love it! When I work on my mains I use a pair of L20t3 on top of my subs and it really sounds great!! That is one nice Sub/Sat combo and can it surprise you! It did me! Just didn't expect it to ballance as well as it does. Not a bad way to get your JBL fix on a budjet. Great small system!!

Rob :)

Mr. Widget
06-27-2003, 10:28 AM

Case in point, I recently finished a biased (charge coupled) pair of 4406 loudspeakers and made the mistake of raving about how great they were. Mistake number two was setting them on top of the 4430's. Mistake number three was having several friends over to have a listen and having them rave about how great they sounded too. My wife said "Oh thank heavens! Now the 4430's can go to the basement since these 4406's sound so wonderful!"
[/B]

Giskard, I have read your posts for some time now and I mistakenly thought you were smarter than that.

How the mighty have fallen.:D

Mr. Widget
06-27-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Robh3606

Well you got company cause that's where my main rig is. I am permanately banished from the livingroom.:(

Rob :) [/B]

Ditto!

4313B
06-27-2003, 11:36 AM
"Giskard, I have read your posts for some time now and I mistakenly thought you were smarter than that."

Operative word is "were". The further away from my teenage years I get, the dumber I become. :D

It was an utterly unprovoked sneak attack! The 4430's have sat in the main room for over 15 years. Now it's "let's change the curtains", "let's change the furniture", and "let's dump the 4430's down the stairs into the basement"... and I thought she liked them... what a fool believes.

GordonW
06-27-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by PSS AUDIO
I asked about the L26 as I must provide him a good quality sound system based on a small JBL speaker (his wife says that a 4333 is far too big) and one of my amplifiers...

Yuri, if you have access to a Dynaco PAS3 and Stereo 70, or something similar in a small tube pre and amp, I wholeheartedly recommend THAT combination with the L26s. Believe me when I say, there's real magic there.

In all, I like the L26 quite a lot. Sure, it can get "brash" in the highs on some amps (everything with an LE20 variant can), but man, it has EVEN tonal balance and dynamics that simply don't quit. Put that on an amp with a "mellow" top end, and things just start happening that most people like a lot.

Regards,
Gordon.

boputnam
06-27-2003, 12:29 PM
In all, I like the L26 quite a lot

Same here. For "fun" I swapped in an old pair of LE10A's that I resurround, and a 16-ohm at that. :eek:

Stunner. IMHO they smoked the original transducers, at least on an A/B comparison.

Get 'yerself some...

PSS AUDIO
06-27-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by GordonW
Put that on an amp with a "mellow" top end, and things just start happening that most people like a lot.

Out of an AB amplifier I quite achieved to have a very mellow but not yellow mid and top end, so I will go with it (advertisement is banned so there will be no name, just follow my eyes ...)

4313B
08-14-2003, 05:18 AM
"Since all of this great content is free, it seems a bit petty to complain about how it is presented."

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/our-thanks/financial.htm

As the top guy in the list has said, "Big stuff is good....................." and this list isn't very big at all :(

JMO

boputnam
08-14-2003, 06:56 AM
Hey, Giskard...

Well, mayhaps the list ain't quite current - I've hit the PayPal button twice, and there's no attribution for those greenbacks (not there there need be... ;) ). Just so long as they get to the Generous One.

Hell - one of my donations was NewYearsEve' fer chrissake, so you can tell where my priorities lie... :rotfl:

My grab is the Wizard's been a bit distracted of late, and many things aren't quite up-to-date... :)

But, you are correct - the list simply ain't long enough. :(