PDA

View Full Version : replacing center dome LE25

Chef Henry
06-19-2016, 10:18 AM
Has anyone done this successfully using the third-party aftermarket domes available on eBay? How did you remove the old dome? What adhesive did you use to attach it? How did it compare sonically to the original equipment? Best regards and happy father's day,

–Chef Henry

Joseph Smith Jr
06-19-2016, 01:25 PM
Has anyone done this successfully using the third-party aftermarket domes available on eBay? How did you remove the old dome? What adhesive did you use to attach it? How did it compare sonically to the original equipment? Best regards and happy father's day,

–Chef Henry
Yes
A disposable scalpel or razor blade, use fresh and sharp only
A high quality medium viscosity cyanoacrylate, any of the solvent based speaker adhesives out there or even a fine and carefully applied bead of Elmer's will work
The black solvent based types will be more forgiving as for less risk of an ugly glue line but all these adhesives will provide a perfect job if well applied
Elmer's and cyanoacrylate more skill dependent as for leaving behind visible evidence of a repair
Use only what is needed to attach the cap with a smooth gapless bead with as little squeeze out as possible
Some of those caps have an ID diameter and are intended to just go over the old cap, I'd advise against that approach as it adds significant mass, although it is a basically foolproof installation
The factory fit types are going to require you to cut away the old cap but your resulting cone mass will be close to what it should be if not exact
Whichever type you wind up with, and this is the repair you want to make, I'd advise you remove the old cap
I prefer using a scalpel for this as they afford better control over a razor blade for getting a clean cut right up to the old glue line, easier to work with, but either one will give you good results if you work carefuly
Unless crushed beyond recognition, I prefer to repair the damaged caps whenever possible