PDA

View Full Version : L100: Just for nostalgia on Father's Day

BMWCCA
06-19-2016, 06:20 AM
I've had JBLs in my home since before I was five-years-old. I still have the original 030 system my Dad owned back then. When he tried to donate the single 030 from his mono system to the Goodwill and go "stereo" with some bookshelf speakers and a Fisher 400, I dragged the mono system from the curb and stashed it in my closet. I was perhaps 9-years-old at the time. At first I played the mono Elac/Miracord TT through the Pilot mono integrated with the JBL. Later I used a ChannelMaster transistor radio to "power" the JBL from the earphone jack. Later still, I found a used C37 loaded with the 030 system at the local JBL dealer, another mono trade-in, and suddenly I had a stereo pair.

By the time we all had our driver's licenses, my prep-school friends were spending big bucks on new stereo systems. One friend bought his L100s back in probably 1970. He also bought the JBL SA600 to power them. The boys went crazy, except for me. I'd already been spoiled by my familiarity with the 030 by that time. The L100s could rock but I preferred the subtleties of the D130. Over the years I've fallen further into JBLs and drifted farther from the "unique" sound of the L100. I just never was a fan of "fake-but-fun". I learned quite early that money wasn't always the answer and that vintage/used hi-fi equipment was a good deal. I still have the Mac C20 I bought used to run the JBLs, but traded the Fisher SA1000 amp in favor of my first Crown amp 45-years ago. I bought cast-offs while my friends bought the latest and greatest. My Dad used to to tell me I'd "picked the wrong womb". The older I get, the more I realize how wrong he was! But then when he went hi-fi shopping 60-years ago, he stretched for JBL. This being Father's Day, I owe him for that . . . and so much more! I know he would have loved my 4345s.

Flash forward to yesterday. That same friend has kept his L100s this whole time, through college, law school, kids, divorce, several moves and bad and good times. Several years ago he asked me about replacing the grilles and I suggested one of the vendors known to this site and he purchased the unpainted gray version for better WAF. And then came divorce. They've been in storage almost ever since. Yesterday he drove down to visit and brought me the L100s, still wrapped in the movers' cardboard and shrink wrap. I have yet to unwrap them but can already see the bottoms have the typical wear you'd expect from going to college, and the grille frames seem to have some broken parts. He says they're working just fine and wanted them to go to a good home. (Yes, he still has the SA600, though I'm not sure it's fully functional.)

Today's project is to get them out of the car, unwrap, and evaluate them. It might be a while until I can actually find a place to hear them in the "speaker room" which currently houses over ten pair of JBLs from L1 to 250ti (I believe I currently own more than sixteen pairs of JBLs). But I couldn't pass them up. It will be interesting to put six-decades of iconic JBLs in the same room and offer a live perspective on how they evolved, devolved, then blossomed again, only to crash on the heap that is NAFTA and Harman International. I'll be able to play the first pair of L100s I ever heard right next to the first pair of JBLs I ever heard which have lived with me for nearly 60-years.

We hope to start construction on our new, second—and last—home within the next few months. There's a "bonus" room upstairs in the plans we came up with that will be my new speaker room and JBL museum. I hope to be able to invite some of you over for a listen within a year's time. It should be an interesting trip down Memory Lane.

Happy Father's Day to all the other dads here!

SEAWOLF97
06-19-2016, 08:06 AM
I "poo-pooed" the L100's as many here do. "Fake-but fun" label has stuck and maybe undeservedly ?

Lusted after some after a demo in 1972 .... $273 each was just out of my range back then. Learned to live with my PX bought CS-77a's. Just gotta be comfortable with your life before using necessary funds for non-essentials.

Grabbed some L-100's in the 80's and rehabbed. They were a big step up from the Pioneers.

After discovering that not every purchase has to be new opened up a different world of buying. Have had ...dunno , 25 pairs of JBL's pass through my hands by now. Only have kept a couple.

The L-100's got gifted to my 34 y.o. son. He was "King o' da roost" among his friends for a while. He moved to Chicago some time back and was unable to transport them to his new home.

Two summers ago , he & family drove out here to PDX and wife & daughter flew home. I shared driving duties with him back to his place. Was the perfect time to get the JBL's back to him.

So before he came out, I buffed them up and verified all the functions. In the interim, he had bough some L-56's , hoping to get the magic back. No joy.
I had a couple of weeks with them before he arrived. Fake ? yeah, kinda. Fun ? for sure.

Now I don't really feel that they deserve the poor rap that LHF heaps on them.

So ,,, yup. Fathers Day. When he turns the JBL's on - daily , a memory come back to how he got them...makes a nice bond between us , and he is back to being The Sound Guy among his circle. And the dreaded* L-56's are no longer polluting his life.

*those are the ones truly deserving the poor rap. :(

BMWCCA
06-19-2016, 09:48 AM
I've unwrapped them just to make a quick assessment. Time has not been kind. These look to be very early: Vertical alignment of drivers, two serial numbers apart (34314, 34316). Anyone know how to determine when they were produced? It appears the tweeters never had any defraction ring (foam) around them, and catalog photos don't dispute that. The dowels that hold the grilles to the baffle are wood with slots in them, not plastic or delrin. They all appear to be uniform and original. Hard for me to say, I'm far from the L100 expert. The movers wrapped them tightly in cardboard and shrink wrap to I'll have to see if the Foam Innovations (or whomever) grille cubes regain their crisp edge along the perimeter.

Anyone have a spare LE20-1?

That's all for now. Headed out on an amplifier odyssey for Father's Day. More later

daveschott
06-19-2016, 03:21 PM
Registry appears to point to January 1972. I have a screenshot, trying to post:

http://s159.photobucket.com/user/daveschott/embed/slideshow/LHS%20stuff

BMWCCA
06-19-2016, 05:29 PM
Registry appears to point to January 1972. I have a screenshot, trying to post:

http://s159.photobucket.com/user/daveschott/embed/slideshow/LHS%20stuff
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t148/daveschott/LHS%20stuff/Screen%20Shot%202016-06-19%20at%206.06.49%20PM.png (http://s159.photobucket.com/user/daveschott/media/LHS%20stuff/Screen%20Shot%202016-06-19%20at%206.06.49%20PM.png.html)

You're much better than I am in finding anything in the Registry. This is the best I could do, and it's close to agreeing with your info:

From elsewhere in the forum:

L100 (not "A", vertically aligned tweeter-mid-woofer)
in original dated boxes
L100 serial number 33717 was shipped from jbl may 11 1972
L100 serial number 34352 was shipped from jbl may 22 1972

L100 (not "A", vertically aligned tweeter-mid-woofer)
L100 serial number 36082 and 36090 claimed 1972 purchase

BMWCCA
06-19-2016, 05:43 PM
A lovely two-hour round-trip on back-roads in the country, but too cheap to pass up:

svollmer
06-20-2016, 04:34 AM
Very cool story about you, your Dad and the JBL's of your youth. It's neat to see how music and the equipment that makes it tied so many families together and created lasting memories.

Joseph Smith Jr
06-20-2016, 10:22 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-LE20-1-ALINCO-2-High-Frequency-Tweeter-Driver-JBL-L100-Lancer-77-L77-/191899639318?hash=item2cae1c1e16:g:NyoAAOSwMNxXZGI b

Not mine and no affiliation
Joe

BMWCCA
06-20-2016, 05:02 PM
It's neat to see how music and the equipment that makes it tied so many families together and created lasting memories.And I know you're doing your best to pass that love along to your son. :applaud:

svollmer
06-21-2016, 04:19 AM
And I know you're doing your best to pass that love along to your son. :applaud:

Thanks Phil.

He graduated HS this past Saturday and is going to UC Denver in Colorado. It's a hardship, but I guess I'll have to visit him at the exact time of RMAF one year. :D I can also jaunt over to Boulder and visit PS Audio and Boulder.

grumpy
06-21-2016, 07:16 AM
Nice lead story :)

Have a few of that amp series (jeez, I may have all of that series).

Mostly used them for testing (6215 is nice and portable),
and "loud and outside" where they've done as they were told
without complaint. Used the 6230/60 to biamp 4430 with
the 5235+proper cards... Sounded good. If you got it cheap
and it works, Happy belated Father's Day to you indeed:)

BMWCCA
06-21-2016, 10:54 AM
Well, I own just about every Crown amp worth owning from D45 to Studio Reference-II, some Soundcraftsmen, Adcom, and Carver. But I've never owned the JBL Urei amps. It's in good shape, works as it should, and cost $75 and some cheap gas. Couldn't pass it up, neither could I have justified it at current Ebay prices. Nice guy who listed it on CL. He was moving and asking $90. Had it listed in Musical Instruments in another city.

Nobody seems to want pro amps these days. Most references suggest it as a good subwoofer amp. Same thing they say about Crowns. I'm expecting more, since I don't have any subs. If it's as robust as my favorite Crown PS400s, it'll have a good home for maybe a couple of decades before my wife has to find a new home for all my stuff.

Joseph Smith Jr
06-21-2016, 11:19 AM
The 6230/6260 are good amps and sound good but they definitely run hot
The relegation to sub duty is just ignorant folks talking, they sound very good actually
Every one I have ever worked on showed signs of scorching though
Thankfully good parts went into these and they held up well, but by today's date they are a bit long in the tooth
Anyone wanting to use these for daily service should definitely consider some fairly serious service
Definitely some cooking is going on
If nothing else, beef up the heat sinking on the MJE devices
Joe

grumpy
06-21-2016, 12:24 PM
Yep. :)

As with any pro amp, they don't always get treated nicely. I've been picky/lucky.

There are threads here somewhere regarding the relays and suggested fixes.
I actually like the midline units because they -don't- have fans and I keep their
tails in the airstream.

The 6290 will pound pretty good though (used on 4ohm sub1500 pair).
I wouldn't recommend messing with the fans though... It needs them.
They also tend to be the most abused.

BMWCCA
06-21-2016, 02:27 PM
I've read about the heat-sink issues on this site. I'll pull it apart and see if there's any sign of being hot but this one was only used in a home environment for sub and out-door speaker duty. Looks gently used and no travel wear. I also understand they are made to come apart fairly easily making the guts accessible. Dollar-for-pound it was nearly cheaper than anything I bought at the grocery store today.

BMWCCA
06-22-2016, 10:02 PM
:applaud: "Clean-up on Aisle Sixteen!"