PDA

View Full Version : Identify JBL Speakers?

cmbrandt
06-18-2016, 09:09 PM
I'm trying to figure out what I have here. My Aunt just delivered some large JBL speakers that she has had for many years --- but there are no external indicators as to which specific model this is. Ultimately I'll be trying to sell these, but not sure what I have...

The enclosure is 20.5" W x 17.25" D x 35" H

Each enclosure includes a 075, a LE85, and a LE15A. The crossover is an LX5 and it also has a N8000.

Any ideas what I have here? I've scoured Google Images, but can't find anything that matches the layout.

Thanks!
Chris

Don C
06-19-2016, 01:45 PM
EN5 enclosure? (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?38482-1980-Pro-catalogue)

cmbrandt
06-20-2016, 05:44 AM
EN5 enclosure? (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?38482-1980-Pro-catalogue)

Yup -- that definitely looks like them. Thanks Don C!

Chris

mech986
06-21-2016, 07:23 PM
EN5 enclosure alright. Which horn is on the LE85? Do you have the front grilles also? Do you have the slant acoustic lenses that should fit over the horns? Any pics of the back of the enclosure?

cmbrandt
06-24-2016, 08:47 AM
EN5 enclosure alright. Which horn is on the LE85? Do you have the front grilles also? Do you have the slant acoustic lenses that should fit over the horns? Any pics of the back of the enclosure?

How do you determine the model number of the horn on the LE85? I've attached a photo of the 'interesting' parts of the back of the enclosure. Let me know if you want a full image of the back.

Yes, I do have the slanted lenses and front grilles.

cmbrandt
06-24-2016, 08:48 AM
Ugh - sorry for the rotated image. The speakers ARE right-side up ;)

mech986
06-24-2016, 07:49 PM
How do you determine the model number of the horn on the LE85? I've attached a photo of the 'interesting' parts of the back of the enclosure. Let me know if you want a full image of the back.

Yes, I do have the slanted lenses and front grilles.

If there is no removable back panel which gives access to the horn, then best to remove the woofers carefully, then snap some flash pictures inside and upwards, looking for any labels on the horn. You can also measure the horn from front end to back end where it screws to the compression driver. The L92 horn should be ~12" long. Other horns would be 11", 9", or 7" IIRC. Should be black or gray crinkle paint on both horn and driver, occasionally blue.

cmbrandt
06-25-2016, 08:02 AM
The horns are the H91s. Thanks for indicating that that was an additional, relevant part :)

Mr. Widget
06-25-2016, 09:07 AM
If the woofer is an LE15A you have an S7 system (in an EN5 cabinet) with added 075s. (Pretty much a 60s era system, but this one looks to be assembled in the 70s) If the woofer is a 136A then the LX5 crossover is wrong and should be changed.

If your goal is to sell them, just call them a "poor man's L300" and lust all components. If you change your mind and decide to restore them and enjoy them there is a lot of potential there but a fair amount of tweaking needed to realize the full potential. There is a lot of info and guidance to be found here on this site.

Widget

asech
07-06-2016, 08:56 PM
If the woofer is an LE15A you have an S7 system (in an EN5 cabinet) with added 075s. (Pretty much a 60s era system, but this one looks to be assembled in the 70s) If the woofer is a 136A then the LX5 crossover is wrong and should be changed.

If your goal is to sell them, just call them a "poor man's L300" and lust all components. If you change your mind and decide to restore them and enjoy them there is a lot of potential there but a fair amount of tweaking needed to realize the full potential. There is a lot of info and guidance to be found here on this site.

Widget
Well, I picked these up from the original poster and the woofer is a LE15A, what is the fair amount of tweaking needed to realize the full potential?
The woofers need new surrounds, is the EN5 enclosure a decent cabinet for this component load?

Thanks

Val
07-16-2016, 09:08 PM
Well, I picked these up from the original poster and the woofer is a LE15A, what is the fair amount of tweaking needed to realize the full potential?
The woofers need new surrounds, is the EN5 enclosure a decent cabinet for this component load?

Thanks

I'll take a stab at some of the challenges in setting up these drivers as I have a similar rig comprised of an LE15A, 375 and 075. Mid-bass is a issue because the LE15A is rolls off around 500 Hz and the compression horns are not great in the 500 to 1000 Hz range. My 375 is a powerful driver and needs to be balanced. I imagine the LE85 will be a bit more balanced but will still need work. Also the 075 has some harsh distortion issues somewhere in the 7k range that need to be dealt with. All that being said, I have listened to my rig for years and love it. I'm also continually tweaking it. I'm in the very slow process of tri-amping them which will give me more adjustment options.

Have fun!

g