PDA

View Full Version : JBL L250 Restoration

Rogers-Lodger
06-17-2016, 06:20 AM
Hello People

The story goes : I get a whatsapp message with a photo attached and the next thing I know I'm filling my car with giant speakers. Where will I keep them amougst Watt Puppys and B&W 801s.... jeez

So the new love of my life are the big wooden ladies .... L250's I havent even plugged em in but they are needing some sweet lovin....
Two poked about tweeters a torn 8" bass and two 12" bass drivers to refoam.... Work ! the last thing I need.

So to work.... The resurrounding shouldnt be too much trouble ok . But unobtanium 108h cones or spares ( missed a pair in germany for buttons... ) and two expensive tweeters or a pair of L120's ... all imported to blighty... ( UK )

Its a sob story I know.... So any advice other than wait for the right parts to turn up ?.... anyone here got any parts they want to sell or swap or.....

Love to hear from y'all

Dave

SEAWOLF97
06-17-2016, 07:25 AM
Two poked about tweeters a torn 8" bass and two 12" bass drivers to refoam.... Work ! the last thing I need.

Love to hear from y'all

Dave

Don't buy 12 inch surrounds for your bass drivers, 14's fit better .. ;)
Find seller "rick cobb" , his fit perfectly , tho for me the process was reverse of my normal. glue to the baskets FIRST. The surround fits into a groove.

rdgrimes
06-17-2016, 08:09 AM
You can use 044 tweeter parts (diaphragms) in those 044-1 units with no sonic or electrical differences. Much easier to find.

If its not too bad, I might try repairing the 108 at least enough to be able to use it while you track down a cone or replacement. (could take years)

The LE14H-1 is pretty easy to fit surrounds on, they almost align themselves.

Rogers-Lodger
06-25-2016, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the reply guys .

The interesting observation of my speakers is this. The label on the back says l250 but the tweeters look to be 044TI . I havent removed them but from the front they are the diamond shape . This would mean they are 044 ti ? So if someone has replaced the original drivers would the crossovers need to have been changed ? Can choose between 44 044 and 044ti to replace them ? The mid range looks to be original and not poly . Crossover looks original .

dave

rdgrimes
06-25-2016, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the reply guys .

The interesting observation of my speakers is this. The label on the back says l250 but the tweeters look to be 044TI . I havent removed them but from the front they are the diamond shape . This would mean they are 044 ti ? So if someone has replaced the original drivers would the crossovers need to have been changed ? Can choose between 44 044 and 044ti to replace them ? The mid range looks to be original and not poly . Crossover looks original .

dave

So what you have is some version of the L250->250ti conversion. You'd have to get the part number off the crossover to verify that. Also the mids should be 104H drivers not the LE5.

Some people just swapped the drivers without changing the crossover. If all you have is the 044ti tweets and none of the rest, I'd look at removing the tweets and putting the original 044-1 back in.