PDA

View Full Version : Vintage JBL S99 Lancer 99 LX4-1 Stereo Speakers - Matched Receiver

bilboftw
06-07-2016, 06:21 PM
Hi there!

I picked up a pair of 'Vintage JBL S99 Lancer 99 LX4-1 Stereo Speakers' and am looking to purchase a receiver to get the maximum quality from the subwoofers.

Any suggestions on the process of re-foaming the woofers (I assume they need it)?

cheers!
~Matt

Joseph Smith Jr
06-17-2016, 11:39 AM
Hi there!

I picked up a pair of 'Vintage JBL S99 Lancer 99 LX4-1 Stereo Speakers' and am looking to purchase a receiver to get the maximum quality from the subwoofers.

Any suggestions on the process of re-foaming the woofers (I assume they need it)?

cheers!
~Matt
Nice speakers
There is no "sub-woofer" in a JBL S99 Athena but there is an LE14A woofer
If your woofers have the whitish yellow surround material, Lans-a-loy, it is probably hard by now, maybe even starting to crack
Some survive the ravages of time and remain reasonably supple, some do not
Do not be deceived
JBL themselves abandoned the use of this material, eventually acknowledging it as a mistake
These surrounds should be replaced to maximize your woofers' abilities if you plan on using them as players
Even if they appear supple you have no way of knowing how much performance has been lost due to these old edges without the ability to "sweep" the drivers and measure the results
There is no reason to keep the Lans-a-loy surrounds on these woofers unless you wished to preserve them as originally built for a museum display
Replace them (the edges) and don't think twice about it, you'll be glad you did
The LE14A is a wonderful driver
Later versions came with foam surrounds and if original I can promise you they are bad, this due too to time
Buy the new foam surrounds from Rick Cobb, he is well documented as having the best product for this repair/service if you are going to do them yourself
There are about 1000 threads and posts here, many with photographs, on how to do it
Use the "search" feature and you will find plenty of material on the subject
When replacing a Lans-a-loy surround on an LE14A with a foam type, the attaching lip needs to go on the FRONT of the cone
The LE14A is a very well built driver and a dream to re-edge with Rick's surrounds as the fit is like a glove, you should have no problems
Rick will also supply you with detailed instructions and a test tone CD for checking voice coil alignment as well
Good luck and enjoy your new JBLs!
Joe