PDA

View Full Version : Does the 250TI really require a lot power?

kelossus
06-04-2016, 12:32 AM
While waiting for my 250Ti's to arrive I contemplating getting a new power amp to drive them.

I currently use a Mcintosh C220 tube preamp driving either Mcintosh MC275 MKV or a Classe DR9.

The Classe is a high current power amp putting 100 watts into 8 ohms and doubling all the way done 1 ohm.

Now I understand the MC275 is a tube amp and may not have the ability to deliver the current to get the best out of the 250TI's but I have read on this forum the 250TI's need atleast 200 watts to come alive.

Looking for a new amp here in Australia and everyone is telling with 89db speakers I would barely need 100 watts.

If you were in my boots would you sell my current amplifiers and purchase a 200w+ SS power amp to drive the 250TI's. I am use to tube amps and the Classe whilst it doesnt sound like a tube amp I quite enjoy it.

rdgrimes
06-04-2016, 06:31 AM
If you were in my boots would you sell my current amplifiers and purchase a 200w+ SS power amp to drive the 250TI's.

Yes. More is better but 200-250 works great. Of course you can try them with your current setup first, but know that more power will give you cleaner, deeper transient response. Those LE14 can do amazing things with power.

SEAWOLF97
06-04-2016, 07:53 AM
I ran mine on an Adcom GFA-555 (200-225 wpc) and it was very good , but now run on a BGW 750D (375wpc) and they are outstanding.

Once tried with a Denon 85wpc receiver and the poor thing couldn't keep up. :(

BGW's are pro amps and nice ones are a bargain on the used market (and build like MILSPEC)

IMHO, the 250ti's sounded a bit lifeless w/o EQ , but I'm sure that you will adjust "to taste"

kelossus
06-04-2016, 04:51 PM
Is it the watts I should pay attention or current delivery.

A pair of monoblocks I am looking at supply around 200 watts into 8 ohms but have a peak current delivery of 120A.

Would this suffice?

grumpy
06-04-2016, 06:42 PM
Based on a quad-amped 250Ti version I had plenty of ear time with, something like a Hafler 9505 would be fine to cover the low end/impact region (the specs are online).

Frankly, there are many who would be happy with much less power, particularly in a smaller room or at normal-ish volume levels... and a light hand on the bass eq/loudness contour knob.

Very hard to make specific suggestions without overdoing it to cover all bases.
Also hard to account for personal bias and aesthetic preferences (and budget).

Best to be able to audition in your system if at all possible.

An old (working/bias-checked) Perreaux 2150b would also be an option.
... or a "60w" Pass amp (may be difficult to arrange an audition?)
lots of options and reasonable suggestions so far.

kelossus
06-04-2016, 09:14 PM
The room is 15ft x 21ft x 10ft, so reasonable sized.

I am a little apprehensive using old Professional amplifiers like the Perreaux. I very much prefer a warmer, lush sounding mid-range and a little mid-bass bloom. I would trade dynamic bass response for a good mid-range any day. Very much like the old Classe amplifiers and would love a Classe Twenty-Five but they are rare here in Oz.

I do intend to Bias the networks but not right away, I will become accustomed to the speakers so I can really appreciate the difference.

And regarding current delivery, I have heard 100watt amplifiers that sound more powerful than 250 watt amplifiers. I put this down to them being a high current design and having a lot more headroom for transients.

grumpy
06-04-2016, 09:52 PM
Right. I think you've made my point :)

If the speakers have a low impedance and an associated high phase phase angle, a higher current capability may make a significant audible difference. For transients, an amp can run out of current (inadequate power supply for the load), or voltage (clip) ... which can happen prematurely if the power
supply limitations (or protection circuits) intervene.

Myself, I've found a sweet spot for my listening habits at the 100-150w level,
the former being tube (an expensive habit), the latter being 10+ year old SS.

Hope you find something you enjoy using and listening to :)