PDA

View Full Version : 4406"s Search over???

fotodan
05-22-2016, 06:00 AM
I've been searching for small speakers for upstairs system and just couldn't seem to find what I am wanting. On a whim, purchased a pair of 4406's last Friday. Should be here end of this week. Not sure what to really expect from these, only experience with 4400 series is the 4435's I have. Should I replace the caps in the xovers for any improvements??? How do they compare to other JBL lines??

I was debating on the L1's but couldn't get past the ugly grille and black cases.

rdgrimes
05-22-2016, 06:07 AM
Pretty much any of the 6" 2-ways are fine speakers, and have more in common than not. The 4406 is virtually identical to the L1 and L20.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Studio%20Monitor%20Series/4406.pdf
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4406.pdf

I wouldn't think there's much reason to mess with the XO unless you suspect an issue there.

fotodan
05-22-2016, 06:17 AM
Thanks RD, I was wondering how they image and if they have good soundstage. If you close your eyes, do they give you the being in the control room feeling?

SEAWOLF97
05-22-2016, 09:00 AM
Not to rain on your purchase.

I had a nice pair of 4406's. They were fine, but not outstanding - IMHO
They just didn't impress enough to keep them.
Also had a similar experience with 18Ti's. They are back sitting in their boxes , waiting as donor 044ti's in case my 250ti's ever need replacements.

Those have both been replaced with ESS AMT10b's. Guess it's just hard for me to go back to small speakers when larger ones are available.

YMMV , of course.

my 4406's:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?17712-Speaker-Safari&p=290724&viewfull=1#post290724

rdgrimes
05-22-2016, 09:14 AM
For near-field I don't think you'll do much better, the 115H-1 and 035ti are certainly capable. But for a music system I'd prefer one of the 8" 2-way models. Although they tend to get almost as big as the 3-ways.

fotodan
05-22-2016, 09:14 AM
Damn Seawolf97, just read couple pages of link you posted and saw the pic of the 21 prs in living room sold. What you live in a warehouse??? LMAO.. Would love to go on shopping spree with you...:D

SEAWOLF97
05-22-2016, 10:20 AM
Damn Seawolf97, just read couple pages of link you posted and saw the pic of the 21 prs in living room sold. What you live in a warehouse??? LMAO.. Would love to go on shopping spree with you...:D

we had some fun in that thread ... if you have the time, there is lots of obsolete gear mentioned in it.

that 21 pair sale finally ended at 32. Then 2 years later another Asian flipper came in and took 22 more (+electronics). I seem to have repeat buyers that keep coming back. Also had sold 2 pallets of gear to a now friend in Oz.

(stuff was stacked to the ceiling in a spare bedroom, greenhouse & patio) .... most is gone now (down to a half of the bedroom + greenhouse of storage )

These days speakers/electronic sales have died :( (Glad that I got the keepers when prices were reasonable.) Tho I did buy the electronics estate of a departed friend just recently .

Gross dollar-wise, my son is doing better selling records on the net than I did with gear (with his Masters Degree on the wall :o:)